Honored Contributor

Re: BLUEBIRD EGGS IN THE HOUSE 😃

@Dazlin wrote:

@giddy up wrote:

@Dazlin wrote:
Bluebirds sit at night, usually out for the day, and after hatch, they return to feed hatchlings. I hope mama comes in at night, but I won't be checking, not to disturb her. So we'll see how it goes😃.

Mama will definitely return to the nest at night to brood eggs and then to keep babies warm at night.   Mama is on the nest during the daytime too for the most part especially with eggs in the nest.

@giddy up ,  I'm seeing a couple of bluebirds around in the morning, but I haven't see any around the nest box for awhile.  Activity has slowed.   I think its around 2 weeks since the eggs were laid, so I'll check in another week.  

@Dazlin   You should not monitor the box during the incubation period.  The female will be sitting on the nest almost all the time.  You just may not realize it.  I've read many times not to disturb the nest during this time.  She has to be sitting on the nest.  Otherwise the eggs won't hatch.

Wait until the babies are born and you know she's gone.  Then you can open the box and very briefly check on the babies.  She will still be close by at that time, as will be the male.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

@NickNack , I'm not monitoring the box.  I did some research on that, so I know it's best to leave nature alone, thanks for your input.  I said I haven't noticed much activity near the the nest boxes, but that doesn't say whether shes setting or not.  Incubation can take up to 21 days, or 14 days, depending when mother sets...so we'll see what happens by then.   Only after at least 3 weeks will I take a peek.  I'm seeing a couple early morning in my backyard area feeding from my stations.  The nest box is located in the front of my house, facing east, so the only time I take notice is if I'm gardening or coming and going.  I do keep a feeder nearby though in the front area (I've posted pics here)...I believe that's what attracted the blue birds with mealworms.   All said, I have also read, an occasional check is not a bad thing by any means...some have discovered a wasp nest, or even an unwelcome pest, and bluebirds are very people friendly.   Since this is my 1st experience, I'm leaving everything put, but keeping an eye when I can.    I have 3 boxes around,  so if mama has abandoned this nest, perhaps shes found a 5 star nearby 😃.

Honored Contributor

@Dazlin   I am confident that Mama is right there incubating her eggs!  You're doing a good job!

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau