Esteemed Contributor

Re: Who remembers wearing Easter bonnets....

Yes, my mom made matching although not identical most of the time Easter outfits for me and my sisters and we would have our picture taken with the Easter bunny. Easter was an occasion to wear your best Sunday outfit. Easter hats I remember and I also had a pair of crochet white gloves but I can't remember how I got those.

Respected Contributor

Oh Yes, I can remember when I was in grade school we would make Easter bonnets  in school then on Friday before we got out of school we would sache through the halls. The boys made stove top hats and the girls made their's out of paper plates, paper machet, ribbon and lace of all different colors.

I have the same memories as the majority all of you do. I got a new fancy dress each year with the a new spring coat, black patent leather shoes with lacy socks. Those white gloves, who could forget? Although the biggest and most important thing was the purse!! I always seemed to get a color that matched my dress. That purse was a good place to put those gloves.  Smiley Happy

Thanks for the memories. It sure was a different time back in the 50's and 60's. I am happy I grew up during that era.

Honored Contributor

Same memories as everyone else - new outfit including a new spring coat. My Dad lining us up in the yard to take our picture before church. Easter baskets. My Dad would always buy my Mom a corsage to wear to church & when I was older he would get me one too.

Honored Contributor

@Leeny wrote:

Oh Yes, I can remember when I was in grade school we would make Easter bonnets  in school then on Friday before we got out of school we would sache through the halls. The boys made stove top hats and the girls made their's out of paper plates, paper machet, ribbon and lace of all different colors.

I have the same memories as the majority all of you do. I got a new fancy dress each year with the a new spring coat, black patent leather shoes with lacy socks. Those white gloves, who could forget? Although the biggest and most important thing was the purse!! I always seemed to get a color that matched my dress. That purse was a good place to put those gloves.  Smiley Happy

Thanks for the memories. It sure was a different time back in the 50's and 60's. I am happy I grew up during that era.

I LOVE this reply! It is one of the lovely memories I have of Easter also! I went to a dear little elementary school that was just K-3, so a lot of the holiday activities involved the whole school population, and the paper plate hats were a seasonal favorite of mine.

As I got older, a real Easter outfit was part of the drill, but my dressy-party dresses were usually what I wore for other occasions during the year.

ALWAYS though, white gloves, Spring bonnet.

Esteemed Contributor

@ECBG

You and several posters mentioned the little white anklets with lace.  Oh, how I wanted some of those, but only ever had the plain onesCat Sad

Perhaps they weren't available in our small town, or they were too expensive. 

I see them now for women and I'm always tempted!  But, not sure I'd find a time/place for wearing them.

Honored Contributor

@Nataliesgramma

My sister and I were just talking about this......

Yes I remember the Easter Bonnet, the white gloves and patent leather shoes....

This is NOT me nor a family photo but I thought it epitomizes the Easter fashions for me growing up....

9a5b9e6585146f96f5e96bcbb5073ae8.jpg

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Trusted Contributor

I also remember!  It helped to make Easter Sunday the special day that it is!  Now I look around in church on Easter Sunday and it just looks like most other Sunday during the year!  It was the children especially that made it so sweet!!Woman Wink

Respected Contributor

Absolutely!  Always had a new dress, tailored coat, patent shoes, white gloves and a hat!  I lived in Western NY and sometimes it was cold and even snowy, but we dressed in our Easter best no matter what!  Loved it!  

Honored Contributor

A pretty Easter hat was always part of our new spring ensemble.  It was the crowning glory.

I wore Easter hats into the late 1970s.  Often times I was the only in church wearing one.

Esteemed Contributor

StylishLady wrote:

Back in the day women wore hats to church every Sunday. Now some still do on Easter. I may wear something like this that I wore to a church tea. It's always fun to dress up.

At many African-American Baptist churches dressing up for service every Sunday -- complete with big fancy hats is still a standard.Woman Happy