Respected Contributor

Re: Who remembers wearing Easter bonnets....

yes.  i had a bonnet with long ribbons and the little white pocketbook with the kiss lock and it held a hanky, mirror and comb.  used both for years, only on Palm Sunday and Easter Sunday.   my sister and i wore sister dresses with petticoats. sis wore rhumba pants. we had and hats and anklets and gloves and white patent mary janes.   nice memories

Respected Contributor

I do, I think they should make a comeback

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Oh!  Also white anklets with lace and white mary janes!  I had several dresses with matching parasols.

Then, around 1965 they started dressing little girls like small adults. 

Valued Contributor

I remember Easter Sunday just like that. Plus the white patent shoes. I felt so grown with the gloves and purse. MyMom had my sister and I carry a quarter for church offering and a little hanky. Such simple times.

Honored Contributor

I was a little girl in the 50's and I remember my sisters and I got Easter outfits every year and of course since we were Catholic and went to church, we wore hats. Also, our town had an Easter parade and people walked in the parade to show off their hats and the kids even carried their Easter baskets.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yes. I have pictures of me at age 3 or so in 1958.  My mother would dress me up in my finest....a  lacy pretty dress, black patent leather shoes....little white socks, a Easter bonnet and little white gloves and a little purse of course!

Esteemed Contributor

@Nataliesgramma wrote:

My Granddaughter's school is having an Easter program and they want the girls to make an Easter themed hat to wear. 

That brought back memories of when I was little and wore a lace hat, gloves, white patent leather purse for Easter service. My brother always got a new suit.

My Dad would buy my Mother and orchid corsage to wear.

Brought back nice memories for me. Anyone else remember?

lYes.... Easter Sunday was the day we always got new outfits for church, patent shoes, hats, pocketbook, white gloves, new coat/jacket...............it was such a tradition into celebrating the holiday...............Years back to me holidays were just so much special....remember dressing up for Christmas, Thanksgiving, New Years!!  I miss the formal wear .............it always made the day feel more special..............these days jeans (are comfortable...yes)

are more a part of the holiday wear but there is something special missing w/o the formal wear!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

How I hated all that dressing up with hats, dress shoes, and even gloves!!  I was fidgety and way so uncomfortable and couldn't wait to get home and change!!!  I'm so glad things are not so structured anymore and relaxed so now we can choose what to wear!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yes, I do remember my new dress, black or white patent leather shoes, little white gloves, maybe lace tights or white ankle socks, and that crown of a new easter bonnet worn only on easter.  I loved the excitement of the newness of that initiation rite of spring. I would so anticipate being in the non-existant easter parade in my city. Woman LOL Took me a little growing up to realize that and put to rest that notion of my childhood cobbled together from bits of adult conversation a little TV, remnants of the Judy Garland movie and tons of fantasy. But I fondly remember that state of mind. Woman Happy

Honored Contributor

I remember Easter hats and ladies in pastel suits and pretty floral dresses with white gloves.  That was when I was a child.  It seems like Easter was usually warm back then and we'd all be in our fancy spring clothes.  I remember patent leather shoes and organza dresses and frilly socks.  It was huge deal, a right of passage when were allowed to wear white tights.  And we always had hats to go with our outfits.  Things have changed so much over the years.  Most people don't get dressed up for Easter anymore.  Some of the older ladies still do and they look so lovely.  The weather pattern seems to have changed and I think that's a big part of it.  Spring doesn't arrive now until some time after Easter.  It's too cold for spring finery.