Honored Contributor

Re: What do you think of hats and, yes, parasols in addition to SPF?

On 8/3/2014 mustbuyless said:
On 8/3/2014 moonchilde said: I live in a part of the country that is very hot and sunny for 6-7 months of the year. I wear hats or use an umbrella (parasols generally aren't collapsible to stick in a bag) not for sun protection (I will still use suntan lotion if necessary as I am fair-skinned) but for protection from heat and the sun's glare. I don't care about the "fashion" aspect except that I don't wear hats or visors, or use an umbrella, that I consider dorky or UNattractive. Other than that, I have reached the age of comfort and utility trumps fashion statements ;-)

Totally with you on that, moonchilde. And btw I love your tag line!

Thank you ;-)
Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Super Contributor

mustbuyless - I haven't had a chance to read through all the posts yet, but I'm so glad you started this thread to get more opinions/ideas about possibly staging a parasol comeback! {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Honored Contributor

A hat, yes, a umbrella, no, though I'm seeing it more and more on sunny days.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor

My skin is extremely sensitive to sunlight.

While hats are helpful, I don't think they're a substitute for sunscreen. On sunny days the sun reflects upward from many surfaces. Hats help some but they can't protect your face completely.

I use sunscreens with titanium dioxide or zinc oxide in them. They're very effective, and they don't have chemicals that irritate the skin. They're safe even for children.

Super Contributor

On 8/3/2014 Colonel Meow said:

mustbuyless - I haven't had a chance to read through all the posts yet, but I'm so glad you started this thread to get more opinions/ideas about possibly staging a parasol comeback! {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

All inspired by your thread, Colonel Meow! As for staging that parasol comeback: lead the way!

Thank you, ladies, for those fabulous suggestions & tips. I'm so glad so many of us share the love of hats- time to plot a fashion revolution!