Valued Contributor

What I learned when organizing my closet

I have discovered that I hardly ever wear clothes I bought from QVC!  The lesson learned is that when watching clothing shows, I am lured in and place orders. I may even like the things when I get them out of the bag, but the truth is that once they are put away, I hardly ever wear the stuff.  Somethings I saw hanging have NEVER been worn at all.  This is so silly that I waste money like this. I'm going to try hard not to watch the shows!!!

Honored Contributor

Re: What I learned when organizing my closet

@HB glamma

You can probably still watch a show for inspiration.  I do it all the time.  If I see something interesting, I try to find something similar elsewhere, usually for less :-)

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

I had a similar eye opener.  I used to buy clothing because of a big sale.  Only problem was I never wore it.  I no longer let sales dictate my shopping.  I'd rather pay full price for something specific, than get five things because they were cheap.

Respected Contributor

I just moved and had to go thru a "forced" organizing.  I cannot agree with you more.  I have clothes from all different retailers, and that's after getting rid of so much!  It is totally ridiculous what I am not wearing, and don't even care about wearing.  So easy for me to watch today with all that LOGO.  All my LOGO pieces look horrible hanging there with all those darn wrinkles, and I have to wear about 3 layers to even make it look right.  Very irritated I ever purchased all that cheap stuff.  If you need to tune out to not buy, do it!  I think I'm so traumatized at this point I can watch part of these shows and not be tempted.   

Honored Contributor

@MomCat

For me, my relationship with Denim & Co cooled considerably when the prices were hiked up.  I bought 2 D&Co pieces this year and I thought about them quite a bit before placing the order.  On the bright side, I do wear them.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Esteemed Contributor

@HB glamma, been there, done that. Welcome to the club! Woman LOL

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I am very careful about what I buy at the Q -- and online in general -- so I don't think I abandon my Q buys once they are in the closet.  What I have noticed, however, is that organization really matters to me.  Things that hang in my closet get worn the most.  The things folded on my closet shelves can get buried if I don't keep them neat.  And things that go into my chest of drawers (excluding, underwear, socks and tights) are regularly forgotten.  I need to figure out a new way to keep them in front of my eyes.

Honored Contributor

@hb glamma, I discovered the same thing about myself a year or so back the same way, clearing and organizing my closet. I donated a ton of clothing, but still have much more than I will ever need. I find I can watch the fashion shows with no urge to buy these days. If I would ever need a reminder, I just look at the excess hanging in my closet, what a waste of money is basically see in there. I still donate a few things here and there, but it is a good reminder, so I am leaving some in there.
"To each their own, in all things".
Honored Contributor

Make a list or take pictures of what you have then you can put outfits together with little effort!  For inspiration, get a few fashion magazines.  My fav is Bazaar.  It isn't page after page of awards dresses!

Esteemed Contributor

I have been going through my closet.  My weakness was just before Coldwater Creek closed (stores and online).  I overbought and now the what I purchased does not suit me.  Embarrasing.  And also I did retire and I don't have the need for what is hanging in my closet.  I could turn to Ebay to sell them --- some never even worn.--- but I think it might just be easier to donate them.