Respected Contributor

Re: What I learned when organizing my closet

I think most of us can relate.  Older and wiser........I now have a better idea of what works on me and what doesn't.  There are a few brands I still buy on occasion (not just at this channel), but I donated all the dumb stuff I previously purchased!

Laura loves cats!
Respected Contributor

@HB glamma wrote:

I have discovered that I hardly ever wear clothes I bought from QVC!  The lesson learned is that when watching clothing shows, I am lured in and place orders. I may even like the things when I get them out of the bag, but the truth is that once they are put away, I hardly ever wear the stuff.  Somethings I saw hanging have NEVER been worn at all.  This is so silly that I waste money like this. I'm going to try hard not to watch the shows!!!

Smiley Embarassed Me too. can't believe someone else said it.

Frequent Contributor

Oh my gosh don't remind me.  I am both disgusted and embarassed at myself for wasting

so much money on clothes I thought I would wear and some things I did wear a few times but just never liked them, the fit is always not the best.

I wish I was exagerating to say that I have donated over 50 pair of dream jeans in the form of long pants, capris, pedal pushers etc.  Most never worn at all.

Also purged  too many pairs of DG2's.

It is so easy to get caught up in the sell.  I would much rather have the money back.

Smiley Frustrated

Respected Contributor

Sometimes I go through my purchasing history.  It's quite eye opening, in the beginning, how I bought a lot of things because they sounded like such a great thing. 

I wasted a lot of money, then joined the shopaholics thread and learned a lot of different "tricks" to keep me from spending.  I used to play with my wish list and look at it every day, as well as the list of on air presentations.  Now I never even look at my wish list.  It's pretty amazing. I still spend money on things I don't need, just not as often and I take things back if I don't wear them.  Much better at not buying, not looking, not watching.

Respected Contributor

Same for me.......Major purge and most donations were unworn or seldom worn Q brands. I wondered why. I think because I do not live near major shopping, I do not make good decisions. I think I buy things in anticipation of needing them at some time in the future such as a holiday top or a rain coat.

I also noticed that I might have 8 pair of women in control pants that are ok but I go to my 2 pair of Eileen Fisher pants and they wear like iron and the color does not fade. 

It's not just Q. When buying on line such as Nordie, I find I will waste money on items that look nice but because I am not familiar with the fit, style or quality of the brand. 

I have also found that I can tweek my personal style but I waste money trying to make major updates to my wardrobe. I'm just a Talbots/Eileen Fisher gal. 

Respected Contributor

I've also cut back significantly on QVC fashion purchases for 2 reasons: I retired so I don't need as much clothing (I used to love the designer jackets for work) and I realized I was hooked by the on-air presentations. I'm also a big Talbots fan and am fortunate to live near one of their clearance stores - the prices are amazing and the merchandise is overstocks or past season from the regular Talbots stores. Now that I'm retired, I wear most of the QVC casual clothing that I bought, but those jackets are in closets. I've donated alot of my unused clothing to my friend's church, but have held onto many of my old work clothes because they're beautiful and it would cost a mint to try to replace them.

I still buy from QVC, especially at Christmas because of their generous Christmas return policy. I'll usually check out qvc.com. This gives me the opportunity to check out the reviews and view the item's video presentation if I'm really interested in buying it.

Super Contributor

I whole heartedly agree.  I think my problem is that I want to look "cute" like my sisters & some of my friends.    I have now realized that what looks good on them will look ridiculous on me.  I'm more of a classic dresser.  My sisters & friends like & look good in trendy stuff.  

I don't wear half of the things in my closet.  It is disgusting.  The quality of the clothing now is not good.  They pile or bleed.  Oh the money wasted!!  

Honored Contributor

This happened to me. When I was home sick and not working for several months I started ordering clothes (and other things) from the Q. This was back around the late 90s. Even when I got well I kept ordering. Most of it was never worn or used. It was just so easy to buy and get that new item home. I finally stopped watching and ordering so much when I realized how much I had that I didn't wear or that was not flattering on me.

Respected Contributor

Most of my clothing is Denim & Co, Joan Rivers, Linea and a couple of Bob Mackie items.  I hate shopping at Kohls, Nordstroms, really not much here.  I am retired and my life has slowed down a lot.  No kid events, parties.  Denim & Co. fits me just fine.

A few years ago I purged my working clothes and that was sad.  They were very nice.

Respected Contributor

@islandgrrl wrote:

I am very careful about what I buy at the Q -- and online in general -- so I don't think I abandon my Q buys once they are in the closet.  What I have noticed, however, is that organization really matters to me.  Things that hang in my closet get worn the most.  The things folded on my closet shelves can get buried if I don't keep them neat.  And things that go into my chest of drawers (excluding, underwear, socks and tights) are regularly forgotten.  I need to figure out a new way to keep them in front of my eyes.

I am the exact same when it comes to how I wear my clothes.  I have to hang almost everything to make sure i wear my clothes.  Drawers are the worst to me so i keep trying to figure out what to put in the dresser that will get me to open the drawers.