Honored Contributor

Want to dye a nice garment...

...I have a very pretty Bryn Walker dress (it's not too big like a lot of their articles of clothing).  It is a sleeveless linen (probably cotton mix).  It is a black hi-lo dress.  I grab it more than any of my summer dresses. It has not faded a lot because I have taken it to the dry cleaners rather than wash it because I know how bad that would fade.  

So, my question:  Does anybody dye cotton/linen successfully and if so, do you mind telling me how and what product you use?  Thank you.

Honored Contributor

Re: Want to dye a nice garment...

I would not try it myslef, dying an item is always risky.Iit could cme out all blotchy and then you would have a ruined dress unless you are looking for tye die.

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

You'll need to know exacty what it's fabricated from because different fabrics take dye differently.  A blend will require a differnt dye than 100% natural fabrics will.  Then, you'll need to determine what dye will work for the fabric.  Also, know that the thread used to sew the fabric might be different, so it might not take the color, if that's important as in topstitching or any stitching that shows.  Also, I would be concerned about how doubled or tripled seams might take the dye.  I'm thinking bands or edges.

I did a dip dye pre-construction once on the skirt and sleeves of a skating costume.  I spent a lot of time determining the type of dye to use, but since I had already sewn the sleeve seam, the thread didn't take the dye.  I had hoped that it would take the dye so it would be a graduated color like the sleeve.  Luckily, it didn't show since it was a serged seam. 

Honored Contributor

My Mom used to dye everything,but I think fabric was less complex. But,I still would not try to dye linen.

And there was no one left to speak out for me....
Esteemed Contributor

@Nonametoday 

I only dye the same color as original. Primarily because the thread may have polyester and I have not had success with that sort if thread grabbing the dye.

I use Rit liquid and use 2 or 3 bottles, add salt in the hot water and white vinegar in the rinse. I do this in my washing machine. I let it sit, after agitation,  for 3 hours or more.

"What we practice daily is what we build a life on. Practice peace, love & kindness."
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Nonametoday 

Lots of years ago, I had a black cotton knit dress re-dyed by the cleaner because it had faded a bit.

Why not just ask your dry cleaner if they can re-dye it for you?

@Nonametoday wrote:

...I have a very pretty Bryn Walker dress (it's not too big like a lot of their articles of clothing).  It is a sleeveless linen (probably cotton mix).  It is a black hi-lo dress.  I grab it more than any of my summer dresses. It has not faded a lot because I have taken it to the dry cleaners rather than wash it because I know how bad that would fade.  

So, my question:  Does anybody dye cotton/linen successfully and if so, do you mind telling me how and what product you use?  Thank you.

Honored Contributor

@Icegoddess wrote:

You'll need to know exacty what it's fabricated from because different fabrics take dye differently.  A blend will require a differnt dye than 100% natural fabrics will.  Then, you'll need to determine what dye will work for the fabric.  Also, know that the thread used to sew the fabric might be different, so it might not take the color, if that's important as in topstitching or any stitching that shows.  Also, I would be concerned about how doubled or tripled seams might take the dye.  I'm thinking bands or edges.

I did a dip dye pre-construction once on the skirt and sleeves of a skating costume.  I spent a lot of time determining the type of dye to use, but since I had already sewn the sleeve seam, the thread didn't take the dye.  I had hoped that it would take the dye so it would be a graduated color like the sleeve.  Luckily, it didn't show since it was a serged seam. 

@Icegoddess It is supposed to be 100% linen but there is no 100% linen nowadays.  Most of it is mixed with cotton due to the abundance of cotton and paucity of flax.  I am pretty sure it is "dyeable" dut to eh fabric.  Bryn Walker is a Cailfornia company and they don't usually make anything but "cotton-linen" garments.

Honored Contributor

@ALRATIBA wrote:

@Nonametoday 

Lots of years ago, I had a black cotton knit dress re-dyed by the cleaner because it had faded a bit.

Why not just ask your dry cleaner if they can re-dye it for you?

@Nonametoday wrote:

@ALRATIBA 

That's a good idea.  Thank you.  I did not know cleaners nowadays dyed like they once did but it won't hurt to ask.

Trusted Contributor

I have used Rit dye in the past and recall that you have to use hot water - are you prepard to deal with fabric shrinkage?

I second the recommendation about having it professionally dyed, but do ask them about the possibility of shrinkage.

Honored Contributor

I'll occasionally wear a Bryn Walker jacket but haven't dyed any dress clothes.  Only home jeans.  I would google your question and read the chatter, if any.