Super Contributor

Re: Tommy Hilfiger's opinion of floral prints

On 3/6/2014 Divine said:

This is just one outfit from his Spring 2014 collection. It looks floral to me! {#emotions_dlg.thumbdown}

I have seen some of his bedding in florals like this. It looks more Hawaiian floral, like a tuberose or other Hawaiian floral (can not think of the name right now of the flower). It's a different "type" of floral, and that may be one he is comfortable using. It is very "island chic". Maybe he was referring to a specific type of floral. He mixes this one up with some color blocking, so maybe he thinks that makes it fresh.

I've also seen him use other botanical prints, like leaf prints or palm prints over the years and incorporate those into his designs.

Sometimes getting just a snip of an article, we don't get the whole picture. And sometimes designers aren't able to elaborate during an interview and/or don't get quoted correctly.

Regular Contributor

I'm not averse to floral prints but I think some designers have crossed the line and have made them way too bold. The JR jacket from a few months back would be an example of too much, too big and not attractive in my estimation. I prefer a more subtle version of the floral print or any print for that matter. To me, less is more.

Super Contributor

On 3/6/2014 evergreen said:

I'm not averse to floral prints but I think some designers have crossed the line and have made them way too bold. The JR jacket from a few months back would be an example of too much, too big and not attractive in my estimation. I prefer a more subtle version of the floral print or any print for that matter. To me, less is more.

ITA.

Trusted Contributor

Well, it doesn't really matter to me what Tommy thinks about floral prints, anyhow. I wear what pleases me. I happen to enjoy some smaller subdued florals, but avoid the larger bolder ones. Of course that's just me. Viva la difference. {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Member Since 11/20/2008
Honored Contributor

It doesn't really matter to me what his opinion is of florals or anything else in fashion.....he has sold out to mass marketing his things so IMO he has zero credibility.....never really liked his stuff anyway.....always seemed like a Lauren wannabe

there are many types of florals; ....would like to know who was asking him the question.

Honored Contributor

Somebody named Belinda Luscombe. He was featured on the last page of that issue in their 10 Questions feature. On the plus side for him, he has a foundation for autism research (two of his five kids are autistic).

Honored Contributor

I think of him as the guru of Dillard's tacky clothing. Therefore I could not care less what he thinks.

Respected Contributor

I would rather look like Granny's wallpaper than a lumberjack.

Super Contributor

I totally agree with him. Isaac is way overboard on prints.
Super Contributor

I like his (Tommy's) florals, but when they go super bold (Isaac, Joan) that's where I draw the line. Navy background, seems ok to me.