Super Contributor

Swimwear (make your own) - quick dry thoughts

Posting this here as there may be someone out there who has made a swimsuit at some point. I am currently working on my own bikini (so I can customize the bottoms and not be subjected to what is out there in the stores today). Someone suggested just sewing some Lycra/spandex material over the top of some quick-dry underwear. I do like the idea as I have some undies that fit well (but they aren't quick-dry). Is there anyone who can recommend some Walmart type undies that are fast to dry that you've had luck with, in general?

This is my first attempt with a bikini, even though I have sewn on stretchy fabrics before. I am hoping that the undie idea would take the place of having to sew in a liner since that will serve the purpose just as well. The bottoms will be dark colored so I'm not overly worried about anything that might show up with, say, a pink colored bottom.

I know that Travel Smith and REI carry fast drying undies, but I'm just not wanting to spend $25 + for a pair of underwear I'm planning to swim in only occasionally. If I can find something similar at one of the Walmart type stores, I'll do that instead.

Any ideas or recommendations??

Thanks much!