Esteemed Contributor

SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (MONDAY, 10/27)

Good Morning/Afternoon Ladies! I saw that Jean is off to work today, and they are having very cool/cold temperatures in her area. Not the case here -- we should reach the 80's today, and they are talking about 90 degree highs for Halloween. The nights are cooler, which works for me. At this point, no need for AC or heat, but the fans are getting a workout.

The hospital called, and DH needs to have pre-testing before his surgery. We scheduled that for Wednesday, which may interfere with one of my "classes", but maybe not. The only good thing is that I will have a chance to do a "dry run" to the hospital. I know things will look different in the dark, but at least I will know where the hospital is located.

I have been pretty good about "want" shopping, but yesterday evening I ordered a couple of Bob Mackie items -- one is a cardigan sweater with a bit of bling, and the other is sort of a tunic top. Hope that I like both items.

DH and I had a nice walk this morning, and I plan to go to the grocery store and Curves later. Lots of cleaning to do around here, and I hope to devote at least an hour or two to doing the cleaning.

Waves to Jean, Kathleen, Arlene, twinny, Susan, Marijane, LindaR, Gayle, Karen, Jules, Sonya, Rosa, Val, Kathy, and all of our posters and readers.

Have a nice day everyone!

Hugs,

Linda

Respected Contributor

Re: SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (MONDAY, 10/27)

It is warm here today also---but the wind has picked up--maybe a front came through.

Yes, finding the hospital in the daylight will be a good thing---at least you will have an idea of where you need to go.

Oh some of Bob Mackie's items are really lovelly---hope you like them when you receive them.

Valued Contributor

Good afternoon everyone!

It is warm here too, for now. Wednesday it is going to start the cool down and rain.

I also love Bob Mackies' clothes, he seems so nice.I make dry runs when I do not know exactly where I am going.

It has been fairly quiet here today, I probably just jinxed it!{#emotions_dlg.scared}

I hope that everyone is doing well.

Respected Contributor

Rosa---so good to see you. Yep, your phone is probably ringing off the wall!!!

I think if you often--but especially when I see "Flamingo" Fiesta!!! Hugs.

Trusted Contributor

Good afternoon ladies, hope all is well.

LindaL - Thank you for starting us today, glad you had a good walk with DH, our temp today is 63 and I am loving it. It is very sunny also, just makes for a great day. Of course, for some strange reason they are call for a possibility of snow on Halloween, I am just not ready for that. I am hoping they are wrong.

I am also one who likes to take a dry run to a new place. When DH had back surgery a few years back I made 2 dry runs to the hospital, I hate to drive in Pittsburgh. One year he had heart surgery and I had to pick him up at the hospital in the morning, that is when Hurricane Hugo or Ivan, can't remember which on came thru here. I only knew one way to and from the hospital, by the time I went to leave the hospital and come home the route was getting flooded out, I drove thru water ( I know, not smart) to get to my exit to get home. By the time we got home (about 20 minutes later) they had closed the road I was on. There were people driving for hours to find a road open to get out of Pittsburgh that day. I told DH someone "up stairs" was looking after him.

LindaR - Maybe you will get some rain if a front comes thru, you are still in need of aren't you?

Rosa - Good to hear from you, hope you don't get swamped at work now.

Well not much going on here, I do need to get a few things done, but just feeling the love.

Hope everyone has a great afternoon.

Respected Contributor

Rosa it always makes me happy to see you post!

Linda it is pretty warm here as well. Last night when I turned my AC window unit to ""fan only"" it got too hot and on AC too cool. I have not done so well about ""wants"" and ""needs"" shopping. :/ It seems like the needs have increased so it is hard to tell that I've done better at all. I guess it depends on definition of a ""need"". lol It's all good though.

I had a lovely and very relaxing weekend with DH. I did not get much walking in but plenty of couch time. He left this morning and I miss him already. Not much else happening. Work is very quiet.

Respected Contributor

Hi girls! It's another gorgeous day - bright and sunny, with temps in the 80s; I'll have to take the dogs for a walk in a little while. I hate that DST starts this weekend - it's getting dark too early as it is. {#emotions_dlg.thumbdown}

We had a nice walk yesterday into more new areas I'd never been in; some of the houses in this town are absolutely beautiful! I got the upstairs bathroom scrubbed before I went out, and when I got home went into the garage to get some paper towels and cat food, and ended up cleaning it out somewhat. Not sure yet what today's projects will be - maybe I'll finish polishing the furniture and get some windows washed - they have "cat nose art" on them. {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

LindaL, I agree my friend is being unreasonable. Given the age of her car there are some things you can expect to break, particularly something that's used so often, such as a door handle. Fortunately the Japanese cars go on forever, but it only stands to reason that some parts - especially those made of plastic - will give way. I could understand her expecting her co-worker (whom she doesn't like so I don't know why she was driving her someplace anyway) to pay for something that was entirely her fault - like if she was moving the car and backed into something, breaking a head or tail light - but that handle was probably just ready to snap. I'm glad I'm not the one that it broke on! My car is also over 20 years old, but it's a Nissan, only has 175,000 miles on it, and and it's mechanically perfect - even my mechanic is impressed with how well it runs. Sometimes I'm tempted to get a newer car, but I would never buy a brand new one, since they drop 40% in value as soon as you drive off the lot, and I've had several friends buy used cars and they've had lots of problems with them. In my case, I know what I have...and I don't have a car payment. {#emotions_dlg.thumbup1} I also don't drive much...and to me, a car is just transportation; I'm not out to impress anyone.

Rosa, it's great "seeing" you again; hope you're doing well.

You know the friend I've mentioned before who sends me packages with stuff she picks up at thrift shops for me, including used bras, or clothing that might be any size from a small to an XL and is usually more suitable for a teen? {#emotions_dlg.rolleyes} Well, she said she sent me something - a beautiful (her words) suede jacket in peach (great color for me), BUT...it has some faded spots on the shoulders, so she found some paint and "fixed" it. (sigh) I wouldn't hurt her feelings for the world, but I'd rather she didn't spend money on postage to send me things that go right to another thrift shop; if she really wants to give me something, a gift card from Amazon would be preferable to clothing that I can't use. Oh well...I guess she has the fun of shopping for me. {#emotions_dlg.crying} I did make a point of telling her that I have more clothing than I can use and am giving a lot away, so hopefully she got the hint and won't get me anything else. In fact, I was looking for something in a closet yesterday and found more boots and shoes that I had no idea I had - including a cute burgundy pair of Clarks boots. I put some of the dressier shoes aside, since I don't need them (and don't know what I was thinking when I bought those high heels!), and will sell them on-line - they're new in the box.

LindaL, I've never gotten anything from Bob Mackie that I didn't like, so I'm sure you'll enjoy your new purchases. I love his fashions, but have many pieces I've never used since they're dressy and don't exactly fit my lifestyle. I'm determined to not buy any clothing at all for the rest of the year; I just don't need anything. The one exception might be a brown jacket, since I have so many purses and shoes in various shades of brown, but I've looked everywhere and can't find a single one I like - not here, HSN, SHQP, LL Bean, Amazon... I even looked on eBay, and although I found one I love and the price was right, it's British sizing, and when I looked at size comparisons on-line, well...it's not worth taking a chance on something I can't return. Oh well...maybe I'll come across one when I least expect it - not that I plan to even go into a clothing store for a long time.

Guess I'd better get moving; have a blessed day, everyone!

Respected Contributor

Hi all, just peeking in quickly. I am loving my new job, well, not so new any more, I've been here 6 months already. My stress level has decreased to the point it is almost non-existent. This is the nicest place I have ever worked. My not-boss (the one I actually work closest with) is a riot and my actual report to boss is very nice too. I feel like I can actually ask questions without getting the "you are too stupid to be believed" look. A funny side note, my old company is now on the 2nd person to replace me after I left. The first lasted a month and the current just started last week. I don't think she will last long. One of the guys I hired quit and I'm guessing the other two are looking.

Our office buys lunch at least once a month, if not more. They pay for 2/3rds of an expensive gym membership and our insurance reimburses us another $20 if we go 12 times/month, so the membership is $11.00. I usually go every day. They pay for our parking downtown, which is upwards of $200 month. They have 2 Christmas parties, one for employees and guests and the other is a family event. They are taking the families to a Disney on Ice production and then out to dinner. Since I don't have kids, I declined, but then got an email that I was welcome as a single. I'll already feel awkward enough at the employee dinner

I am not doing a very good job on the want shopping. I just ordered 2 D & C items yesterday. I need to get that under control--for two reasons. I don't need to be spending money on stuff I don't need AND I don't have room for it.

I'm glad to see you are all doing well. I do look at the forums every day, but don't really have that much to contribute. I got a little bored with all the Lisa leaving nastiness.

I hope you all are having a good time preparing for the holidays! I'll be headed to Phoenix--there will be family drama, unfortunately. My sister went to rehab this summer and has had one slip up already. My niece flunked out of college and my head is about to spin off because of that. My poor mom.

Esteemed Contributor

Good evening, everyone! As Linda said, I worked today but now am at home. There is nothing like young people to keep you thinking young despite the chronological years.

Linda--Thank you for starting the thread. I think doing a dry run for the appointment is a gd idea. If I'm going into a strange place and may not have time to find it, gps or no gps, I often do a dry run. The reality is that things often appear so much different in the dark.

Rosa--It is so good to see you posting. I often think of you and I know the coming holiday season will be a challenge.

Kathleen--Glad that you were able to have a great weekend with DH. What is a want to someone may be a need to others, and even with an individual a need may transition into a want depending upon thinking, etc. I think the important thing is to take time to think carefully.

Arlene--I agree with you about Daylight Savings ending. I like my daylight on the end of the day so if I need to do something, I have the comfort of the daylight. It makes it difficult when I go to the city as I have to leave around 3pm in order to get home before it is dark. It is no fun driving in the dark a section filled with crooked roads in which you meet yourself as you go around the curves. Another reason, I don't like to drive in winter with snow and ice.

Kelli--Glad you are enjoying the job. Stop in and chat anytime. Most of us live the same routine life. Enjoy your trip to Phoenix.

I called the cardiologist's office from work today to get their input on the lab results I had, results which should have been forwarded to them I am on a medicine which is the center of a nationwide lawsuit and I wanted to know if the results indicated the medicine might be adversely affecting me.

Right now, I'm watching Chaz Dean. I'm getting low on the mousse which I really like.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Esteemed Contributor

DrKelli, sorry about your family drama. DH & I are going through a very trying time with my mom. She has had a very serious eye infection for about a month & we are so busy doing eye drops. We are now down to ever 4 hours, but there were 3 weeks that we did them every 2 hours. Not much sleep for us & I am trying to not wear myself out as I have a serious chronic medical condition that says not to "over due it." Easier said than done. I am so glad that you have a job that treats you well & that you really like. I am blessed with 2 DC & their spouses & a DH that is used to picking the pieces for me. Right now though, we would love to go on vacation to get away from this mess.

FHG, our weather is beautiful but it looks like it will be over on Friday. Yes it is getting darker & darker & will be worse when we set the clocks back.

RC, glad you had fun when your DH was home for the weekend.

Susan, Snow on halloween. YIKES. It will be in the 40's here but no snow yet.

Rosa, I am sure that the insurance company that you work work are fortunate that you have insurance knowledge already. Nice to see you posting again too.

LL, Your weather sounds really nice now. I like sunny & 60's-70's. My want today was lunch out.

I started my eye drop duty at 7:00 a.m. The new gal came to mom's today, so I showed her how to do the drops & told her that she could do a little spiffing up in the house. She seems very nice so I hope mom cooperates & lets her do something around the house. She will be there an hour, so she can do a few things each day. DH was supposed to wait for moms MOW today. When I got over there, neither he or his moped were anywhere in sight. I called home to ask him where he was. No reply. I got home much later than planned only to have him tell me that he was across the street at one of her neighbors visiting. After he saw me bring mom home, he took off for our place. I was not happy as mom is a handful & her vacuum doesn't work right. I will be taking my new one over to her so the new gal can use it on Weds. DH definitely needs a break from this madness.

DH & I did wash the picture window today as it is really nice outside. I haven't had all of the windows open for a while, so it seems so nice & fresh in the house. Tomorrow I hope to wash most of the other windows. Tomorrow will be an easy day other than eye drops every 4 hours. I can't go too far with that schedule, so I usually concentrate in just doing a few things in the house each day.

Jean, I hope you had a fun day at school.