Honored Contributor

A while back, I tried to remove an itchy fabric tag on the back of a shirt.   Not only did I cut the tag out, but also cut stitching at the neckline.   

Is there some trick to getting a tag off at the neckline?   Yes, it's better to buy garments with the tagless labels, but I have a couple tops I like ... with itchy labels. 

Any ideas or magic tricks as to how to do this?

Honored Contributor

Re: REMOVING FABRIC NECK TAGS?

@Tinkrbl44Really depends upon how that darn tag is attached, but my best bet is always to work with my manicure scissors.  Nothing else I have has that tiny sharp point.  The worst -  and maybe that's what happened to you --are the tags sewn right into the seams.

Respected Contributor

I use cuticle nippers.

Trusted Contributor

I use a stich ripper.

Honored Contributor

@wishmoon wrote:

I use a stich ripper.

Agree and may I add -- GENTLY, one darn stitch at a time.

@Tinkrbl44

Honored Contributor

Sometimes the tags are integrated into the actual seam and in this case the only thing you can do is cut the tag close to the seam to remove it. The other ones are sewn on top of the seam and all you have to do is carefully cut the stitches holding the tag in place. I use a small-pointy embroidery scissor or a seam ripper. 

Honored Contributor

I cut tags out of everything - both neck label and the seam label!  

I have some small embroider scissors and a seam ripper to remove the threads after cutting away the label.

Honored Contributor

Respected Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

@Tinkrbl44

Related image

This is what I use. I also use it to cut those plastic threads that attach price tags to clothing.

This is great for taking out stitches. However, doing that can sometimes leave tiny holes where the stitching was. I usually leave sewn in tags alone for that reason.

Honored Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

@Tinkrbl44

Related image

@ECBG

LOL!     Yesterday I was out shopping and came across a "notions" section, and purchased one of these!    Glad I'm on the right track here, lol.