Honored Contributor

Nordstrom Considering Going Private

@handygal2 and Nordstrom fans:

Nordstrom is considering going private. Stock soared on the news. See articles below. The Forbes piece describes the options in detail.

Personally, this is one of my favorite stores. It seems the family cares about keeping its legacy intact and not sacrificing customer service or quality.

From the Forbes article: "It’s nice to see that there are people who still believe in themselves, in traditional retail and will take risks for it. I hope they’re right."

Me too!

Washington Post: Nordstrom Stock Surges on News That Department Store Could Go Private

Forbes: Why Would Nordstrom Go Private

Respected Contributor

Re: Nordstrom Considering Going Private

i think they should consider some management changes.  their sales won't go up because they are private. if they had stellar ways to get people into the stores - or an online presence to challenge the Amazon model, i think current leaders would have rolled out by now considering the punishng year they have had.  and then there is all the debt they'd have to incur.....they, like so many other retailers, were not aggressive enough in the online space and have had to play catch-up ever since.  

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I was going to post this.  Very interesting.  They say it's not because they are doing bad because they invested in their online sales sector a long time ago. They are much more solid than say, Macy's according to one source I read.

I just hope that whatever they do, they remain the Nordstrom's I love.

*Call Tyrone*
Esteemed Contributor

Well, I have fond memories of suburban Nordstrom when I was a teenager because my mom worked there (this was in Washington state) but as an adult I seldom visited Nordstrom. They took forever to come to Canada and it was a disappointment. Their Vancouver flagship store caters to wealthy tiny tourists from overseas for the most part. The Canadian store is expensive and overpriced. I haven't been there since last year. I almost never visited them in Washington state either as I prefered shopping elsewhere.

But the last 2 visits to Las Vegas I bought something from Nordstrom at the Fashion Show mall, a pretty necklace in February and a sexy pair of Vince Camuto sandals a week ago. Both were on sale as I won't pay full price at that store. The only other thing I ever buy at Nordstrom is their lattes from their coffee bars.

As to Nordstrom Racks, I would visit them more in the U.S. but they are not convenient or close by. There aren't any Nordstrom Racks in the Vancouver, BC area of Canada.

Whether taking the company private will make any difference to Nordstrom, who knows? I am not so sure it will make much difference to the customer either. Maybe they want to become an online powerhouse but it won't happen in Canada where customers are expected to pay in U.S. dollars and pay for expensive shipping.