Honored Contributor

Re: Pricing For Tailoring/Alterations

I try to limit what I take to my tailor to pieces I will wear a lot or to something I just happen to love and don't have the skill to work on myself.  That makes the visit worth what she charges; the good thing is that the shop I use gives me the cost before I leave there, so I can back out if it becomes ridiculous.  Hasn't happened yet.

A few years back I found a superb short-sleeved black St. John's sweater in a thrift shop for which the original owner could have paid anywhere from $250 to $800 or more. I paid far less, had those short sleeves reset for only $25, and I love wearing it. 

I've also paid close to that to have a favorite pair of jeans hemmed.  I do many pant hems myself, but not denim.  Those had been on a Nordstrom sale rack, and as I remember they also would have charged me $20.  I like my own tailor better- so I use theirs only when I'm buying full price.

Trusted Contributor

$18 to get pants hemmed. free of charge in nordstrom and banana republic if you're a cardholder. 

Honored Contributor

@MacDUFF No the buttons are still on. I wore it last weekend, maybe this weekend I'll try taking them off  🐱 (that's a scaredy cat)

Can you imagine if I had to alter other people's clothing? Lol.

"If you really want to shock the world unleash your kindness"
Honored Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

Ladies, I taught Clothing, Advanced Clothing, as well as Tailoring.

These are skilled artisans who have to have a space to work in, good machines, pay for expenses and make a profit.  They can ask a price that equals their talent and expertise.

The skill factor starts when you come in the door.  First, you generally have to be measired.  Stiches might have to be carefully be taken out so that the fabric isn't damaged.  The item is then resewn and pressed.  There may be a refitting.

Yes, there is tremendous skill involved, I think we all agree.

Honored Contributor

The person at my local dry cleaner charges $15 to hem regular pants, $20 to hem wide-leg, and wide leg knit pants are $25.

For dresses, she charges $25 unless it's very wide/full.

Hemming knit pants and dresses is the only thing she does for me.  I can handle shortening sleeves and taking in at the waist myself.

Honored Contributor

He'd kill me for sharing this but as my husband aged his derriere has become pancake flat.  This has made all his pants about an inch too long.  He took a few pairs to the tailor and was told it was $20 with a cuff and $15 without.  It would take 10 days to 2 weeks.

Thankfully we were forced to take Home Ec so I can sew.  Yesterday I did 7 pairs, some with cuffs, some without.  The biggest PITA was taking out the old hem and cutting the excess material off. I still have a few pairs to go but they will have to wait.  I have all these little nicks on my finger from that da*n seam ripper.

He owes me Big Time!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My alterations are free because I do them myself.  I wouldn't buy clothing that needed alterations beyond my ability to perform them.  I thinks it's sad that the average woman is no longer able to take up a simple hem on a pair of pants or a skirt.  Sewing isn't a talent with which you're born; it's an acquired skill that anyone can learn. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

I typically won't buy pants that are too long, but I caved a couple years ago.  Cost $39 to have 3 pair of pants shorten.  Thus I no longer consider pants if the length isn't right.

Esteemed Contributor

@Greeneyedlady21 wrote:

@MacDUFF No the buttons are still on. I wore it last weekend, maybe this weekend I'll try taking them off  🐱 (that's a scaredy cat)  Can you imagine if I had to alter other people's clothing? Lol.

You'd be a nervous wreck lol!   Naw, you'd learn...pretty soon you'll be ripping out button tabs with the best of 'em.

I see a seam ripper, somebody help me!!!...

Image result for Cat in a Room Full of Rocking Chairs

~~~ I call dibs on the popcorn concession!! ~~~
Esteemed Contributor

Seeing some of the prices everyone else is paying for hemming pants, I'm feeling blessed!  

@Kachina624

I can do simple sewing and mending projects thanks to my Grandmother...hems (except jeans and I have a heck of a time using the sleeve arm thingie on sewing machine), take in sides, throw pillows, simple curtains, mending rips...I can put in an simple inverted pleat at the back collar lol.  I could probably duplicate a simple a-line skirt if I had to, but I don't necessarily have a lot of extra time to sew and since my tailor is the best and, it appears, quite reasonable in her prices, it's easier to give her the job.   I do agree with you that it's sad that this skill is becoming a lost art for the average woman.

~~~ I call dibs on the popcorn concession!! ~~~