Frequent Contributor

Re: Plus size Barbie. Whaddaya think?

Oh my, would anyone really consider giving that to a little girl?

Trusted Contributor

On 1/4/2014 Mindy D said: Fat bashing seems to be socially acceptable as long as it comes under the guise of a health issue. As a person who has been slim and fat--(I have no problem with this word), I've noticed more prejudice against overweight people than any other type of overt hatred and stereotyping. Modern people, as a general rule, don't like fat people. This could have a basis in evolution, as fitness is essential to prolong life long enough to breed; of course, the other side of the fence is that larger people, with more body fat, might have had a survival advantage. What I would like to see is many more people in movies, FAIRYTALES, tv,TOYS etc. with a variety of body shapes. The campaign that Dove Soap had a few years ago was great. I also can't stand people with a holier than thou attitude, toward what others eat or how they exercise. I have read some of the mean spirited, hurtful things people say and I can't believe it.

your post was everything I was thinking.

" I've noticed more prejudice against overweight people than any other type of overt hatred and stereotyping"

that prejudice and overt hatred and stereotyping is what America is listening to, soaking up and spouting because it's what they are told to believe.

another poster said that weight gain is complex; it is. many factors affect that; especially in women. I personally believe that not all people are born with the genetics to have a low BMI...no matter how hard you try. I personally think this nation has been woefully inadequate in decades of not covering the importance of nutrition in schools. we should have had classes covering health and nutrition from jr high to h.s.
a lot of people don't know HOW to eat like they should and you usually have to pay for classes that advise nutrition for adults and children. then add in economic factors.........if we had been taught properly and extensively about such an important subject the same way we were taught to read & write, but hey...that's JMHO.

Respected Contributor

" I've noticed more prejudice against overweight people than any other type of overt hatred and stereotyping"

that prejudice and overt hatred and stereotyping is what America is listening to, soaking up and spouting because it's what they are told to believe.

another poster said that weight gain is complex; it is. many factors affect that; especially in women. I personally believe that not all people are born with the genetics to have a low BMI...no matter how hard you try. I personally think this nation has been woefully inadequate in decades of not covering the importance of nutrition in schools. we should have had classes covering health and nutrition from jr high to h.s.
a lot of people don't know HOW to eat like they should and you usually have to pay for classes that advise nutrition for adults and children. then add in economic factors.........if we had been taught properly and extensively about such an important subject the same way we were taught to read & write, but hey...that's JMHO.

I am not a thin person, but I am not obese either. Struggles with weight are real. I say "struggles." I was never a 3x. At that point it's not about looks, it is health. Young people are becoming obese at younger ages. Gym is not compulsory in many school districts. In many cases, it's been dropped from the curriculum. I have seen 14 year-old-girls with big thighs from eating McNuggets. This is not weight from illness, childbearing or age.

They should not have made Plus Size Barbie so fat. A size 14 doesn't look that. 3x is unhealthy. My SIL is a beautiful woman who has a history of diabetes and high blood pressure. At 5'9 she will never be a little girl, but she not be 2x. I am not even sure, but I know that she is not just needing to lose 20 pounds. That's the difference. It's not about beauty. At that size, it is health. Just as size 0 or a size 2 is not healthy. But we all knew we couldn't look like the original Barbie. She is supposed to be a myth.

Trusted Contributor

On 1/5/2014 JavaQueen said:

another poster said that weight gain is complex; it is. many factors affect that; especially in women. I personally believe that not all people are born with the genetics to have a low BMI...no matter how hard you try. I personally think this nation has been woefully inadequate in decades of not covering the importance of nutrition in schools. we should have had classes covering health and nutrition from jr high to h.s.<br /> a lot of people don't know HOW to eat like they should and you usually have to pay for classes that advise nutrition for adults and children. then add in economic factors.........if we had been taught properly and extensively about such an important subject the same way we were taught to read & write, but hey...that's JMHO.

I am not a thin person, but I am not obese either. Struggles with weight are real. I say "struggles." I was never a 3x. At that point it's not about looks, it is health. Young people are becoming obese at younger ages. Gym is not compulsory in many school districts. In many cases, it's been dropped from the curriculum. I have seen 14 year-old-girls with big thighs from eating McNuggets. This is not weight from illness, childbearing or age.

They should not have made Plus Size Barbie so fat. A size 14 doesn't look that. 3x is unhealthy. My SIL is a beautiful woman who has a history of diabetes and high blood pressure. At 5'9 she will never be a little girl, but she not be 2x. I am not even sure, but I know that she is not just needing to lose 20 pounds. That's the difference. It's not about beauty. At that size, it is health. Just as size 0 or a size 2 is not healthy. But we all knew we couldn't look like the original Barbie. She is supposed to be a myth.

I don't have kids but I remember that we used to play outside EVERYDAY...you couldn't keep us inside. I live in a small town (tiny) and only see teenagers walking ( I used to do that as a teenager). I never see younger children ( school age-not toddlers) outside playing in their yards. what do they do inside? my mom would tell us not to play inside- if the weather was nice, we were outside. I know that has to factor in children's weight.

can anyone who has children explain that to me? I understand apartment living, but my neighborhood has houses with good size yards.

Honored Contributor

No one complained about the anorexic Barbie that girls have played with for years. Her body was not the norm. JMO.

Esteemed Contributor

I loved my Barbies, I adored them. They were my favorite toys. The plus size Barbie is very pretty but given a choice, I would choose the regular Barbie. I could stand to lose a few pounds myself so I don't feel bad saying that. I just don't see how the plus size Barbie would have made me better about myself. For me, play time wasn't about making myself feel better. It was about my fantasy of going to New York City to be a secretary and most importantly, own a hat box! Smiley Happy