Honored Contributor

Re: O/T - Why don't we see more women in glasses on TV?

I think glasses add character.

Honored Contributor

Most wear contacts or have had corrective surgery.

There are non-reflective lenses so reflecting should not be an issue.

I never really think about them wearing glasses or not wearing them. It really is not important. I know I sometimes see a host or vender with reading glasses.

Honored Contributor

On 7/3/2014 faeriemoon said:

I think glasses add character.

Heaven help us if we have so little character we need to put plastic on our noses to fake people out.

Super Contributor

I see plenty of women in glasses on TV..Ashley Banfield comes to mind..

and maybe these women don't wear glasses because they have heard

of contact lenses. Besides doesn't Rachel on the Q wear glasses?

I think she does.

Respected Contributor

Lasik surgery. 10 yrs. later I'm still 20/15 from going 20/600 (legally blind). My surgeon from Cornell calls me 'Eagle Eye"".

Honored Contributor

On 7/3/2014 Kathleen said:

I've worn glasses since I was six years old ... most of my friends and family wear glasses ... I guess I never paid much attention to what people on TV wear.

Had lunch "with the girls" yesterday ... big part of the discussion was "new frames." Some jazzy stuff out there. My current are textured dark red with black/white stripe inside.

OMGosh, yes! The styles are so fun these days! Almost makes me wish I needed readers (contacts take care of it for me). I love the sound of yours! My cousin has a very cool pair of hot pink & black zebra striped ones. I love seeing them.

Thank goodness I can (and do!) get my funky-cool face accessory fix with sunglasses! Cool {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Honored Contributor

On 7/3/2014 jmsmall said:

I see plenty of women in glasses on TV..Ashley Banfield comes to mind..

and maybe these women don't wear glasses because they have heard

of contact lenses. Besides doesn't Rachel on the Q wear glasses?

I think she does.

Ashley Banfield has said she wears glasses to look more serious. She used to be a war correspondent and thought she was ""too attractive"" w/o glasses.

Rachel Maddow sometimes wears glasses too.

Super Contributor

I often meet with other library directors, and am always amazed that I am the only one in the room NOT wearing glasses. I've needed glasses since I was 10, and have worn contacts for decades. I had a short stint with reading glasses a few years ago, but a change in prescription took care of that.

I do have several pairs of fun sunglasses. I never, ever, ever go outside without them. (Well, unless it is raining.)

My oldest granddaughters go back and forth (wear their glasses 2-3 days a week most weeks), so perhaps the old stigma attached to wearing glasses has finally gone away.

Super Contributor

On 7/3/2014 ~Lucky Lu~ said:

My oldest granddaughters go back and forth (wear their glasses 2-3 days a week most weeks), so perhaps the old stigma attached to wearing glasses has finally gone away.

Was there a stigma to wearing glasses? I hadn't heard that. Seems rather cruel to stigmatize a person (particularly a child!) because they need glasses to see (or have some other disability).

I'm 72 and as I note below - I've worn glasses since I was six.

Honored Contributor

On 7/3/2014 Kathleen said:
On 7/3/2014 ~Lucky Lu~ said:

Was there a stigma to wearing glasses? I hadn't heard that. Seems rather cruel to stigmatize a person (particularly a child!) because they need glasses to see (or have some other disability).

I'm 72 and as I note below - I've worn glasses since I was six.

Well, people with glasses weren't called "Four eyes" for no reason. Remember when the media portrayed all nerds with glasses with tape in the middle? Now more people have LASIK or contacts and other people are wearing prescription-free glasses because they think it's cool.

As for men not making passes at girls who wear glasses, that's definitely not true. Now it's all about the naughty librarian look. People will fetishize anything.