Honored Contributor

Re: It's crazy..why all of the long sleeves when summer is coming ??

I agree. I like 3/4, but not for summer. I don't find air conditioning too cold. I want to be able to wear a short sleeve shirt and be done.

Occasional Contributor

I don't know why the designers/QVC are choosing long-sleeve styles for the spring/summer season but I know it's likely not for the same reason I wear long-sleeve in the summer: protection from the sun's UV rays.

Granted, over the past few years I have tried to slowly phase in more of the extremely lightweight UPF-rated, specialized UV-protective clothing that is so light and airy in texture it actually serves as air conditioning, but that's happening verrry slowly, given the very high price of these garments at the reputable outlets like Coolibar.

So, I have to make do with wearing regular cotton long-sleeved shirts and tops, which aren't protective enough on their own so I layer a light-as-air UPF-rated scarf over them while walking to and from my destination. (And once I'm at my destination, yes, the crisp AC prompts me to switch out the too-light UPF shawl for an actual pashmina shawl balled up in my tote bag!)

I live in a part of the East Coast of the U.S. that's extremely hot and unbearably humid for a long stretch of time each year, often May *through* September. It's an ordeal for me, someone who shuns both warm weather and sun. What I've found is that, in such weather, even the non-UPF, regular cotton long-sleeved shirts give me a feeling of psychological protection from the HEAT, not just the sun. When the sun beats down on me but doesn't find any bare skin to molest, I feel as if I've escaped a few degrees of its wrath--not by much, but enough to justify the wearing of long sleeves.

However, you are right on the principle of it all: if there were ever a time of year when short-sleeved shirts should be readily available...it should be now! And I know QVC doesn't have my excuse of UV protection for showcasing long-sleeves now, so what gives?

Super Contributor

I prefer 3/4 year-round. As others have said, air-conditioning in offices, airports, eateries, shopping venues and other places can make it uncomfortable to be in sleeveless or short-sleeved attired. And while I am not obese (yet) my upper arms are plumped out and not particularly pleasing to the eye; I prefer to keep them covered. I think a lot of people who don't work out regularly or have great genes would benefit from a hard look in the mirror when they are in short sleeves.

Plus I just think a longer sleeve looks more polished. Count me among those glad more are being offered year-round.

Super Contributor

I wear long sleeves during the summer for the usual reasons: protection from sun (I also wear a hat out of doors); air conditioning and ""style.""

Honored Contributor

When its 98 degrees, and 98 humidity....you want the least amount of fabric....and like other posters...the AC is not that cold....thermostats set at 78 and in a crowded room, sunlight and heat coming in through windows, and hot air blowing in thru automatic doors at shopping centers...stores arent that cold! Im all for sleeveless or short sleeves...I mean come on they show capris and shorts so if your legs need a cool breeze so do your arms!

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

I would like to see more elbow length sleeves.

"To each their own, in all things".
Respected Contributor

I loathe long sleeves in summer. Most of the time, I'm NOT in air conditioning, so short sleeves work for me.

Honored Contributor

I live in a warm weather climate and most grocery stores and other retail stores are air conditioned.

Further, a fluttery 3/4 sleeve can offer a little sun protection. While the experts are always saying WEAR SUNSCREEN .... many women don't. Dressing in layers can help avoid skin cancer.

Trusted Contributor

I agree with snickster - more elbow length sleeves!
Honored Contributor

I noticed the same thing! I don't even like cap sleeves (real cap sleeves). I never wear sleevless.

The answer to all of this is to have elbow length sleeves. I don't understand why they don't make more elbow length sleeves.

Someone (I think it was Susan Graver) just has something with elbow length sleeves last week. I loved it. I bought two or three of the tops.

She made a big deal about how they were elbow length. Why, why don't they have more of these for Summer.

They are not 3/4 length, they are called elbow length. The problem with elbow length is that manufactures (CHINESE) don't seem to know how to make them so they make them too tight!!

They should not be tight but come right to the elbow. Otherwise it makes it tighter when you bend your arms.

I think they just aren't good in understanding the American body. I am convinced something must be lost in the translation.

Don't say, "They follow what they are given". That would be no. Think about this. If they just cut less than 1/8 of an inch off of something. Now think of how many of an item them make. Now think of how much more they can make out of a bolt of material if they just cut back less than 1/8 inch.

Have I made my point?