Valued Contributor

Re: Is 40 too old to wear a french braid?

Wear whatever you darn well please!

Don't let someone's comment second guess your confidence and what pleases you.

~ To Know, To Dare, To Will, To Remain Silent ~
Esteemed Contributor

You are never too old for a French braid!!

Super Contributor

@CritterKeeper wrote:

Now that the weather is getting warmer, I tend to wear my long hair up. Instead of the usual pony tale, I wore a french braid. Someone (not in so many words) told me I was a bit too old to be wearing a french braid. Any thoughts on this?

To which I would have replied - 'At least I know good manners are ageless'. Smiley Wink

I'm sure you looked adorable and HEAVENS do NOT let ANYONE tell you how to wear your hair (or skort etc.)!

Honored Contributor

We all hear a lot of silly WT* things, but that's really silly, IMO. A braid is neat & tidy, great for hot weather, and somewhat sophisticated. Maybe they couldn't handle all that ;-)

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Respected Contributor

@CritterKeeper

you wear your french braid and hold your head up high!!

Valued Contributor

Listen, I am 65 years old and have thick brown, wavy hair to my waist.  My hair is my "crowning glory".  I would wear a french braid if I could do it.(I have watched Youtube videos but still can't do it). I DO wear my hair up, in a side ponytail, in a bubble side pony, 3 strand braid, and several other styles. I love the versatility of long hair. I get many compliments on my hair, but even if I didn't, it's what I like.    Smiley LOL  So-my dear, wear your french braid with pride!!!!

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

No!  Some very elegant, classy and beautiful French braid styles are shown and modeled by women of various ages in this link.

http://hairstyleforwomen.net/french-braid-hairstyles-for-women/

Honored Contributor

I honestly haven't seen anyone with a french braid in I don't know how long.  It seems everyone I see is wearing those fishtail braids. 

I myself have always loved a french braid and had my hair in a french braid for my senior prom. 

I don't think one is ever too old for this.  Pig tails maybe  but a french braid, no.  And even IF I thought someone was too old for something, I'd never say anything to them.  How rude.

Respected Contributor

@sparklestar wrote:

If you can put your hair in a French braid, then do it.  Don't give another thought to what others think.

ITA! This made me lol and think that maybe your helpful friend is jealous that your hair is long enough to WEAR in a french braid.Woman Wink

Respected Contributor

I don't think there's an age limit for this. If your hair can be styled this way, go for it!