Respected Contributor

Re: How do you organize your closets?

i could sure use some help!!  the master walk in is mainly fall/winter and the guest room has spring/summer with most of my dressier clothing and golf clothes. 

everything is just put in there i have to go by memory of what i have.  it's terrible!..what it boils down to is i have too many clothes, and yet i hate to part with most of them.  when i do,  i will go looking for it and then it is gone. 

i told my personal shopper that what i wanted to do was to start wearing my warm weather clothes year round with sweaters, etc. and that's what she sold me

i have to make up my mind to do something, it's not out of control or anything.  i just would like a bit more cohesiveness.  this is the year!!. 

Honored Contributor

I don't.

Respected Contributor

@SeaMaiden

LOL  that's great!

Frequent Contributor

Years ago and I'm talking 35 or more, I read Color Me Beautiful. It recommended you organize your closet by color, which I have done ever since. Within the color group I organize by item: skirts, pants, jackets, tops, etc. keeps me from buying the same thing over and over. Shoes in original boxes with labels by color and type. Sweaters and knits folded in drawers color coded too. Casual clothes in separate cabinet. Off season under the bed in storage bins and in closets downstairs.
Honored Contributor

I have jackets then pants then skirts then dresses/outfits then blouses/tops, winter wear - as I live in Florida and don't use those much it is a very small section -then finally robes and loungewear. That is all the more organized it is ever going to get. My mom was a fanatic about having her closet just so and I always wanted to just reach in there and moves some things around! She had all the colors in order etc. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@bubbiem wrote:
Years ago and I'm talking 35 or more, I read Color Me Beautiful. It recommended you organize your closet by color, which I have done ever since. Within the color group I organize by item: skirts, pants, jackets, tops, etc. keeps me from buying the same thing over and over. Shoes in original boxes with labels by color and type. Sweaters and knits folded in drawers color coded too. Casual clothes in separate cabinet. Off season under the bed in storage bins and in closets downstairs.

You make a good point!

By organizing by color (I do it within each group of clothing - tops, slacks, coats, shoes) I can tell when I have too much of one color or too little of another. It really does help me.

Honored Contributor

antthony to the rescue.....he must have been reading this thread Smiley Wink because he just did a blog post about organizing your closets.

8 helpful ways to organize your closet for the New Year!

January 7, 2016

A messy closet doesn’t contribute to anyone’s happiness. Conversely, an organized closet can bring forth euphoric joy — or, at the very least, a sense of relief at finally finding that long-lost sweater or pair of pumps. From eliminating what you don’t need, to organizing what you already have, this year it is time for a closet transformation.

http://www.antthonyoriginals.com/blog/8-helpful-ways-to-organize-your-closet-for-the-new-year/

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

My main closet is a walk-in and I organize it by grouping all the jeans and pants together on a lower rack, the jackets on the upper rack. Winter tops are on hangers hung high on two horizontal rods. I have big sterlite drawers with scarves and gloves. Out of season tops are stored in boxes on shelves.  I keep summer sandals and ballet flats in this closet in boxes

The dressers in the bedrooms hold the bras and lingerie.

My outerwear coats are stored in my office closet as well as a closet across from my office. I keep my faux fur jackets in cloth garment bags on a rod under the closet stairs closet. My dressier shoes are stored in their boxes in a tall bookcase. My handbags are also stored in a tall bookcase in my office closet.

Esteemed Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

I don't.

@SeaMaiden

I love a rebel!

Honored Contributor

I have a large walk-in closet.  I have everything hanging together by season and style.  I don't hang up by color.  My husband's side is by color.  That works best for him.

In the middle, I have a small island with drawers.  That's where I keep my jewelry and tanks that I don't hang up.