Respected Contributor

Re: Has Anyone Ever Really Found a Puffer Coat

@snowbear11 wrote:

I love my Lands End Chalet Down Coat for staying warm in 40 degree or less weather.

Thank you sooo much.  Checking it out now.  @snowbear11

Contributor

@truffle, just wanted you to know that I looked at the pictures and there are some small changes to the coat since the year I bought mine. Mine has a covered zipper with snaps and zipped outer pockets. It looks like the zipper is no longer covered. I read in a review that the outer pockets have a velcro closure.

Honored Contributor

@truffle wrote:

I don't want to spend more than $150 so I guess I'm really limited in what is good(?) Is that an unrealistic number to find something good?

@truffle

If there is a Burlington Coat Factory in your area, check it out!

SIDEBAR:  I am not a fan of purchasing clothing items unless I can try them on first.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Respected Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

@truffle wrote:

I don't want to spend more than $150 so I guess I'm really limited in what is good(?) Is that an unrealistic number to find something good?

@truffle

If there is a Burlington Coat Factory in your area, check it out!

SIDEBAR:  I am not a fan of purchasing clothing items unless I can try them on first.

@Mz iMac I definitely will check out Burlington Coat Factory!  Thanks!!

Contributor

A few years I got one from L.L. Bean, long one and it's very warm.  In fact, I only wear it when it's less than 20 degrees here where I live in the PA mountains.  Most of the time I wear a shorter jacket, puffer or otherwise. I do look all of my coats with hoods.

I usually wear a S in everything but size up to M for the puffers.

Esteemed Contributor

The key to getting a puffer coat which will really keep you warm in true winter temperatures of below 30 degrees is to check the down content.  Some of them aren't all down or even half down, but rather a a very small percentage of down and puffed up with mystery materials.  Another offense is not using all goose down but slipping in some feathers.  Granted these tricks are done to keep the price (sans any sales or discounts) under $300, but it can be misleading to consumers. Furthermore, who's to know because no one is going to cut the lining of their new coat to verify the inside fill is 100% goose down.  

I highly recommend Land's End and LL Bean for puffer shopping because not only do they seem to be very honest with the (inside the lining) content in their catalogues and website descriptions, but they also state at what temperature the coats is intended to suffice for being warm.  

Frequent Contributor

I have a NorthFace down jacket that is very warm. As a matter of fact I bought it while visiting Colorado I was just too cold in my Calvin Klein puffer coat. I got lucky at REI while they had a "Garage sale", which means they sell cutomer returns fully disclosing why an item was returned. My jacket was in pritine condition, and the reason for the return was that it is too warm. I knew I had found my jacket Smiley Happy

Good Luck

You might also consider proper undergarments like silk under shirts and long johns, or the Heat Tech line at Uniqlo. 

Honored Contributor

I have a Laundry brand puffer coat that I got years ago. I swear I could go naked underneath in -20 weather and still stay toasty warm. Best investment I've ever made.

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

@truffle

LLB- $104

Trail Model Down Jacket, Two Tone
Item #: TA295969
Product Details

Trail Model quality, DownTek performance. Classic soft, durable ripstop in two beautiful color tones.

Light activity: to 15° Moderate activity: to -35°
about comfort ratings

Size & Fit
  • Traditional Fit.
  • Best with midweight layer.
  • Falls below hip.

Honored Contributor

@truffle LLB Ultrawarm Jacket
Item #: TA234009
$149

Product Details

Even on the coldest winter months, our flattering women’s superwarm winter coat blankets you in premium Bean Tested® 650-fill-power down comfort.

Light activity: to 20° Moderate activity: to -30°
about comfort ratings

Size & Fit
  • Relaxed Fit.
  • Best with midweight layer.
  • Falls at hip.