Honored Contributor

Re: Has Anyone Ever Really Found a Puffer Coat

@truffle

If you're concerned, then I would order from Land's End or L.L. Bean, both of whom have very liberal return policies.

Respected Contributor

@lolakimono wrote:

@truffle

If you're concerned, then I would order from Land's End or L.L. Bean, both of whom have very liberal return policies.

I've read so many reviews from all over my head is swimming.  I'm under the impression that regardless of the manufacturer zippers can and do fail?  Do you feel that is correct in your experience @lolakimono ?  I no longer know which manufacturer to trust.  

Honored Contributor

@truffle wrote:

I've read so many reviews from all over my head is swimming.  I'm under the impression that regardless of the manufacturer zippers can and do fail?  Do you feel that is correct in your experience @lolakimono ?  I no longer know which manufacturer to trust.  

@truffle

I had a winter coat from Land's End, where the zipper broke.  I called CS, because that version of my coat was no longer available, and I had invested in snow boots and gloves in the same color.  I mailed it back to them and they mailed me out a new version of a coat that I picked out.  

I have not had to return anything to L.L. Bean for being defective.  Here is their guarantee:

L.L.Bean 100% Satisfaction Guaranteed. Our products are guaranteed to give 100% satisfaction in every way. Return anything purchased from us at any time if it proves otherwise. We do not want you to have anything from L.L.Bean that is not completely satisfactory.

Our products are guaranteed to give 100% satisfaction in every way. Return anything purchased from us at any time if it proves otherwise. We do not want you to have anything from L.L.Bean that is not completely satisfactory.

Our guarantee is based on something as simple as a handshake – the deal that you'll be satisfied with your purchase, and if you are not, we'll make it right. We guarantee that we'll hold up our end of the bargain. It's just how we do business. If your purchase isn't completely satisfactory, we're happy to accept your exchange or return at any time for items purchased directly from us.

Honored Contributor

@truffle

If you LOVE the GILI coat, which it doesn't sound like you do, you can always have a seamstress put in a new zipper if it fails.  @Bird mama just had that done with some older, but quality, winter coats.  Perhaps she will chime in about the cost, so that you can have an idea of the total investment.

IMO, if a garment is a quality garment, you shouldn't see a zipper fail in 30 days (or even within several seasons).  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Maybe I should just keep the $70 puffer from amazon and wear a heavier sweater or two and hopefully that will be sufficient.  Then if the zipper fails it won't be as much of a blow. I just don't know what to do.   

I want to go cancel my GILI order before it's too late and the system doesn't let me.  It's done.  

Honored Contributor

I can tell you that I had two things done at the seamstress @truffle.

The first was to sew up the walking vent in the back of a wool blend coat.

The second was to replace a zipper in an old Eddie Bauer bucket coat.  I did request a YKK metal zipper which had to be ordered (I don't do plastic) and can say having that zipper replaced was more expensive than altering the other coat.

I believe I paid $30 - $35 for the new two way zipper in my almost knee length Eddie Bauer bucket coat.  It was worth the investment to me as I've had that coat for over a decade and you'd never know it.  They don't make coats like that anymore.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Respected Contributor

@Bird mama wrote:

I can tell you that I had two things done at the seamstress @truffle.

The first was to sew up the walking vent in the back of a wool blend coat.

The second was to replace a zipper in an old Eddie Bauer bucket coat.  I did request a YKK metal zipper which had to be ordered (I don't do plastic) and can say having that zipper replaced was more expensive than altering the other coat.

I believe I paid $30 - $35 for the new two way zipper in my almost knee length Eddie Bauer bucket coat.  It was worth the investment to me as I've had that coat for over a decade and you'd never know it.  They don't make coats like that anymore.

Thank you for the info birdmama.  

Valued Contributor

I also can confirm the Eddie B and Lands End coats, I ordered several and they are very very nice and worth the price.  For me, as a plus size the coats did not work for ME...this will not apply to everyone or every "shape" I highly recommend them.

Valued Contributor

@truffle   I purchased the GILI coat and sent it back.  Perhaps I received one that was less than perfect, but I thought for the price, it should be perfect.   I took a chance when I ordered it because I thought I wanted something "stylish" but when I tried to put it on, I found there was just too much going on.  From my perspective, I think you are wise wearing the sweater under your current coat. Heart

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
Frequent Contributor

I am a NY gal, I have several puffers, the warmest lightweight ones are Micheal Kors, on sale from TjMaxx.  But i have others, one with like a vested section so it doubles up and is very warm. Try checking TJ Maxx or Micheal Kors outlet stores, for lighweight warmth!