Super Contributor

Re: Fun Poll: Would you have liked to live in an era..

Downton Abbey era!
Super Contributor

No. I could never have so many clothing items on. Corsets, petticoats, stockings, garters and all the rest. I get tired just thinking about assembling all that each day. Always having to have a long cumbersome dress or skirt would have driven me nuts. I don't even like a maxi dress. I don't know what those women did during menopause and hot flashes.

They do look polished and well done, but what they had to go through to get that way is a big no no for me. {#emotions_dlg.scared}

Super Contributor

On 2/10/2014 Desertdi said:

not if I lived in Phoenix at the time..............

{#emotions_dlg.laugh}..Desertdi, I hear you on that one!

Honored Contributor

Would have loved it! That was about the 1880's, before the 1910's to 20's, if you happened to have seen Legends Of The Fall.

Super Contributor

Me too, love the hats.
Honored Contributor

I would have loved to experience the roaring twenties as a twenty something!

Respected Contributor

Those fashions are for seeing & being seen, but not for actually doing anything, like breathing. I think only the wealthy women dressed like that anyway, but they're pretty to look at. If it hadn't been for Coco Chanel, with her loose & easy-fit fashions, we all might still be wearing corsets & pantaloons.

Honored Contributor

On 2/10/2014 Skylands said:

You R missing the point. Only the wealthy dressed this way everyday. Just look at "Little House on the Prairie".

Exactly. And when you trade in this era for that that because of clothes, you are also trading in all the things that that come with America or Britain in this era, like indoor plumbing almost everywhere, electricity everywhere, widely available telephones, civil rights, the right to work as something other than a teacher or nurse, etc, etc. For clothing.

Trusted Contributor

Beautiful, elegant styles -- but way too fussy and too much trouble for us modern girls! Can you imagine what it takes to clean and care for that type of clothing, or what kind of corsets and underpinnings one would have to wear? No thank you.

Respected Contributor

On 2/11/2014 GoodStuff said:

Beautiful, elegant styles -- but way too fussy and too much trouble for us modern girls! Can you imagine what it takes to clean and care for that type of clothing, or what kind of corsets and underpinnings one would have to wear? No thank you.

I think anyone who could afford to dress like that probably had a maid to help them take care of their clothing.

One of my grandmother's wore a corset every day of her life from the time she was 13 on. {#emotions_dlg.sad}

A kind gesture can reach a wound that only compassion can heal. ~~ Steve Maraboli