Contributor

Downton Abbey Fashion Exhibition

I am a Downton Abbey lover! I received notification that fashions from the series will be displayed at the Wintheur Estate in Delaware in the next few months. I think 40(?) costumes will be shown and there is an entrance fee. I thought the costumes the ladies wore at the village festival that was hosted at Downton were spectacular. They were wispy and gauzelike with special embroidery and they resembled watercolors. They took my breath away. The wardrobe people only have 3 weeks from the time they get the sketches until they are worn in the scenes. They are elegant and definitely reflect a gentler time. I think some of today's wedding gown designers might want to consider an adaptation of some of the Downton designs.

Honored Contributor

Re: Downton Abbey Fashion Exhibition

Very interesting! I plan to get it from Netflex.

Honored Contributor

I loved reading your post. If you are interested in some of the back history you might google it and watch some of the behind the scenes about the show.

It is interesting how they come up with some of the costumes, the research done, the real 'Abbey' and so on.

I went back and read everything I could get my hands on about Downton Abbey.

However, I didn't see anything about what you posted. Thank you so much for the information. Found it interesting.

Also, if you are interested. Lady Mary (don't know her real name) is in the new Liam Neesom movie about the plane where someone is a killer (it comes out this week). She plays a flight attendant.

My point (finally, right) is that is is on all of the late night talk shows. She's been talking about Downton Abbey and gives some interesting insight into the show.

You can google it and see her on these talk shows.

Respected Contributor

Oh I hope the exhibit goes on tour!!!
( \_/ )
(='x'=)
( " )_( " )
Trusted Contributor

Thank you homecomingqueen! I took a look at the website and it looks like Edith is in a wedding dress Beautiful clothing.

Super Contributor

Thanks---I am a fan and an Anglophile! HIghclere was closed for the season the last time I was there---but I can get to Winterthur! Have not been there for years---now if they host a Downton Tea, it would be even better!

Sounds great!

I REALLY want to go to one of the Carnavon dinners...{#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Super Contributor

Thanks for posting. I love DA and the fashions of the time. I am not far from Delaware so should plan a visit.
Contributor

Thank you for your replies and suggestions.. A tea would be a wonderful idea, no matter where you live! I read about the exhibition in my AAA Magazine that I received about 2 weeks ago. Maybe you can find it on-line if you are not a subscriber, I don't know if the information is available if you do not belong.

Super Contributor

On 2/26/2014 homecoming queen said:

Thank you for your replies and suggestions.. A tea would be a wonderful idea, no matter where you live! I read about the exhibition in my AAA Magazine that I received about 2 weeks ago. Maybe you can find it on-line if you are not a subscriber, I don't know if the information is available if you do not belong.

They have the information on the museum website.