Respected Contributor

Re: Do you remember and/or wore girdles?

I remember my mother and all her friends wore them, not sure I ever did but I did wear Spanx when they first came out and was uncomfortable all day long. I decided to opt for clothing that wasn't skin tight instead of packing all my bulges into a torture device. I do remember the garter belts before pantyhose. It was so embarrassing to sit down and have the closures not hold in the back and snap! One of my funniest memories of girdles was when my sister got married, mama and her sister were getting dressed in one room and they would fight, fuss, and moan trying to get those girdles up. Heaven only knows how long it would take them to use the toilet! Of course, they were much younger and didn't have to visit the bathroom every hour!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I wore a yellow and white striped one with a matching bra in the  60's  when I was in jr high school--no panty hose then, so wore stockings everyday and that was how I kept them up, was a girdle. And remember applying clear nail polish to any runs in your hose at school? Used to buy hose in 5  or 6 to a package in the those days too.

Just a P.S. to the above---wearing a girdle for me was merely to hook the stockings up too , not to hold anything in--was teeny tiny back then. I guess there were garter belts too--that you wore around your waist and then long straps down in front and back of your legs with those clamp things on them. I think the matching bra and girdle was the "IN" thing to do. 

Respected Contributor

@depglass Yes,  cruel & unusual punishment!!!

Honored Contributor

I remember them, but never wore one.  I was about as big around as a bean stalk so I had nothing to girdle in.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Esteemed Contributor

Never wore a girdle but was aware that my mother had one. However since I am "wider" now I do tend to buy underpants that pull me in.  I guess that is my way of wearing a girdle. LOL

Honored Contributor

Back in the 70's I traded my panty girdles in for control top panty hose. 

Honored Contributor

I wore a boy short type of panty with hooks to hold up my stockings in middle school. It wasn't a girdle that held you in. I weighed 90 lbs and 5'4" so I had nothing to hold in. Now I have too much to hold in.

Then pantyhose was invented...Woman Happy..and the angels sang.

Trusted Contributor

@Meowingkitty wrote:

Never owned one much less wore one.

@Meowingkitty    I never owned one.  My grandmother and mom wore them though.  I could hardly breathe just watching  my mom squeeze into one....which I never understood....She was very petite.  

Super Contributor

Mom wanted me to wear it now and then. Another reason is to control the jiggles. Yes, mine also held up nylons.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Never wore one in my life.  We got liberated by then.  Panyhose )amd a dress!) is rarely if ever worn in the summer now.  I recently read something interesting. Any female member of the "working" Royal family that hit puberty must wear pantyhose & a dress  in public.  The hat rule only appeared in the late 40's, early 50's (which was popular then).  I'm surprised the rules didn't include gloves.   Diana relaxed the rule by wearing jeans off duty.  So Kate & co got a break. Although male members still apparently must wear socks with shoes.  Cool Hollywood type men don't wear socks.  Just shoes.  And of course all male children under the age of 12 wear shorts in the middle of winter.