Honored Contributor

Re: Do you remember and/or wore girdles?

@Trinity11 wrote:

I wore one in 6th grade with garters for my stockings. I was 12 and 5'8, 112 pounds,🤣 I reached my full height at 11. I never thought much about it as they were heavily advertised in 17 Magazine, my fashion Bible.😀

edited to add, it was 1965 when I was 12.

@Trinity11 you wore stockings at 12?  I was at least 16 before I got to wear pantyhose. 

Honored Contributor

I've never worn one, but I kinda see shapewear as being the same thing although less bulky.  I still always wear pantyhose with dresses and even dress pants.  Some people complain they're too hot, but often these are the sam people wearing Spanx, so I don't get it.  Slips can be hard to find, but I do have some half slips that I wear with some of my dresses.  

Honored Contributor

@Icegoddess wrote:

@Trinity11 wrote:

I wore one in 6th grade with garters for my stockings. I was 12 and 5'8, 112 pounds,🤣 I reached my full height at 11. I never thought much about it as they were heavily advertised in 17 Magazine, my fashion Bible.😀

@Trinity11 you wore stockings at 12?  I was at least 16 before I got to wear pantyhose. 

I wore them at 11 @Icegoddess . I wore them for my Confirmation. 😀

Honored Contributor

Do you remember a few years ago when qvc chose for a TSV  on International Women's  Day a "shaper" panty girdle?

Didn't go over very well.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Valued Contributor

I've never had a flat tummy (even as a teenager), so YES, I wore girdles, because I was self-conscious about my little "pot belly."

I still wear an all-in-one Body Shaper (and a slip) when I wear a dress, but it's much more comfortable than the old tight "rubbery" girdles of days past. Smiley Very Happy

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

Do you remember a few years ago when qvc chose for a TSV  on International Women's  Day a "shaper" panty girdle?

Didn't go over very well.

@Kachina624     Ugh...I can just imagine the prickly heat(!)

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

I got my first girdle in the 7th grade.  It was called a

"powder puff" and was not tight.  I used it to hold up my nylon stockings and rib knit sweater stockings...it had attached garters.

When panty hose came out, I dropped the girdle.  Some of my friends wore garter belts, but I never did.

Honored Contributor

I remember my mother wearing a girdle and struggling with them.  They looked so uncomfortable!

As for me, I wore a panty girdle in Jr. High to hold up my stockings.  It was 1967 & 1968 and Twiggy was big.  So were mini skirts.  Pantyhose was not quite yet available.

I entered high school in the fall of 1968 and graduated in 1972.....those 4 years saw drastic changes! Girls started out wearing dresses & skirts and school officials felt that we could try out wearing pants when we came back from the Thanksgiving break in 1968.  We were supposed to wear "nice" slacks or pantsuits. 

However from the beginning everyone wore jeans.... bell bottoms, flares, hip huggers and sometimes embroidered jeans. 

We never looked back and from that time on I rarely wore a dress.

Honored Contributor

@Icegoddess wrote:

@Trinity11 wrote:

@Icegoddess I'm a year younger and wore stockings at 12.  Fishnet stockings were big then and we all (at least I did ) wanted to look like Twiggy in her mini skirts!  Long leggy look which you could only get with stockings or tights.

Honored Contributor

My Mom did, yikes they looked so uncomfortable 

"If you really want to shock the world unleash your kindness"