Valued Contributor

Department Store Sizing

[ Edited ]

The mall closest to me has been torn down. If I want, I can drive further to other malls. What IS close to me are outdoor specialty stores like Jjill, Chicos, Anthropologie, Coach, Pottery Barn.  These stores all have their own ways of sizing. 

When they say buy this in your department store size, I have no idea what that is. I do not shop in department stores anymore but do in specialty stores.   Many malls & stores have closed. Do you still shop in department stores?

Honored Contributor

@AZfem   Most mall stores and specialty shop sizing run about a size smaller than qvc sizing.  That's what they're trying to tell you.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Valued Contributor

@Kachina624 

I guess what I'm trying to communicate, very badly, is dept. stores are mostly gone or dying. What's left - Kohl's, Macy's, Nordstrom, Saks?  Most regional dept.stores have been long gobbled up or closed. The demise of dept. stores has been predicted for a long time & it looks like its coming true. 

Why do they even talk about dept. store sizing when specialty stores are the thing now & some have their OWN UNIQUE SIZING. 

Jjills sizing is like QVCs sizing doesn't conform to dept. stores.  

Many here seem to shop at Lands End, Eddie Bauer, Talbots, Sundance, etc. 

To me, dept. stores are not much of a thing anymore nor is their sizing. 

Honored Contributor

@AZfem wrote:

@Kachina624 

I guess what I'm trying to communicate, very badly, is dept. stores are mostly gone or dying. What's left - Kohl's, Macy's, Nordstrom, Saks?  Most regional dept.stores have been long gobbled up or closed. The demise of dept. stores has been predicted for a long time & it looks like its coming true. 

Why do they even talk about dept. store sizing when specialty stores are the thing now & some have their OWN UNIQUE SIZING. 

Jjills sizing is like QVCs sizing doesn't conform to dept. stores.  

Many here seem to shop at Lands End, Eddie Bauer, Talbots, Sundance, etc. 

To me, dept. stores are not much of a thing anymore nor is their sizing. 

Everyone doesn't live next door to you or in your town.  While malls are closing or becoming less popular, millions upon millions of us do have malls near us.  It sounds like you have strip malls and not indoor malls.  You shouldn't take what the hosts say so literally.  When they say department store sizing what they really mean is standard sizing.  QVC sizes are more generous than standard sizing.  A standard size 12 is generally a QVC 10.  And that's ok.  Many stores use their own sizing like Chicos with is 0 to 4 system.  

Respected Contributor

I will probably head to a mall this weekend, since the weather predictions are cool and rainy.

Our biggest mall is King of Prussia, and the department stores include:

Macy's

Bloomingdale's

Neiman Marcus 

Nordstrom

(Lord & Taylor, and Sears, and JCP were also there, but have closed.)

Inside the mall are probably a hundred or more boutique stores!

At another mall is a JC Penney's, at another is a Boscov's, and standing alone by itself is Saks FIfth Avenue.

We also have many discount stores, like Target, Ross, TJ Maxx, Burlington, Kohl's, Marshall's.

We also have outlet malls with many, many stores. 

Department store sizes are usually a size larger than QVC, when clothes are S, M, L, etc., but numerical sizes of clothes are standard at either QVC or department stores. 

I guess you can shop until you drop here in the greater Philadelphia area!

Honored Contributor

I carry a tape measure in my purse...

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

We have Macy's, Boscov's, JCPenney's, Kohl's, Target, etc. Sizing is different for each one sometimes. I find QVC sizing for me larger than store sizing.

Happy Weekend
Honored Contributor

I'm across the street from a Nordstroms and within a short walk of Macys.  I used to love going to the malls and browsing the stores.  Now with every retailer having a website no need for that anymore.  Plus when I did go into Macy's recently there wasn't much stock on the floors.  Much more choice online.  Sorry to say goodbye to b&m stores but that is the future--online shopping.

Esteemed Contributor

Sizing can be all over, Q or B&M or online.  I always just check.  Being petite makes it harder, sleeve length is a hard one.

Honored Contributor

@AZfem.  Most metro areas have department stores like Macy's,  Dillard's,  Kohl's,  Nordstrom's, JC Penny, etc.  They're not all gone yet

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment