Valued Contributor

D & Co. And Courtney; Paisley is new and contemporary?!?

Since when is Paisley new and contemporary? Even Miss Courtney, (who seems to be the Q's latest pet host)., should know, if she's presenting fashion...the history of prints, cuts, and trends!
I just recently went to a local Macy's and L&T; for the first time in 5-6 years due to an incapacitating and disabling illness. The old saying "everything old is new again" never rang so true to me! In fact there was the exact style and material dress in Lord & Taylor that I wore to my senior prom in 1977!!! There were zig zag prints long before Missoni came on the scene and there are zig zags on everything! Peasant tops, maxi skirts in muslin, I could go on. But Paisley? That was from the 60's! There was a small resurgence in the 80's that died out as soon as Oprah made fun of the print. I can hear her now..."WHOOOooo would EVVVEER wear Paisley? HaHaHa". There is nothing wrong with Paisley. I like it, I own it. And from this century as well!
If these young hosts are going to present especially C.C., shouldn't they have some training in fashion history? When the older, more well read hosts know exactly what they are talking about. It's not just because they are older. College does offer opportunity in art, fashion, interior design, as well as broadcasting!
I have to turn the volume onto mute after about 10-15 minutes with Courtney. That coquettish little sound in her speech is not attractive. My generation has more spending power. QVC might want to think about that.
Esteemed Contributor

Re: D & Co. And Courtney; Paisley is new and contemporary?!?

@Gemspirit wrote:
Since when is Paisley new and contemporary? Even Miss Courtney, (who seems to be the Q's latest pet host)., should know, if she's presenting fashion...the history of prints, cuts, and trends!
I just recently went to a local Macy's and L&T; for the first time in 5-6 years due to an incapacitating and disabling illness. The old saying "everything old is new again" never rang so true to me! In fact there was the exact style and material dress in Lord & Taylor that I wore to my senior prom in 1977!!! There were zig zag prints long before Missoni came on the scene and there are zig zags on everything! Peasant tops, maxi skirts in muslin, I could go on. But Paisley? That was from the 60's! There was a small resurgence in the 80's that died out as soon as Oprah made fun of the print. I can hear her now..."WHOOOooo would EVVVEER wear Paisley? HaHaHa". There is nothing wrong with Paisley. I like it, I own it. And from this century as well!
If these young hosts are going to present especially C.C., shouldn't they have some training in fashion history? When the older, more well read hosts know exactly what they are talking about. It's not just because they are older. College does offer opportunity in art, fashion, interior design, as well as broadcasting!
I have to turn the volume onto mute after about 10-15 minutes with Courtney. That coquettish little sound in her speech is not attractive. My generation has more spending power. QVC might want to think about that.

----------------------

One of the reasons I do not watch Courtney's presentations.  She is a cute girl, but never seems to be quite prepared for her shows.

Honored Contributor

There is ofteI n a lack of knowlege about fashion that I think should be required or perhaps a crash course

for the hosts in basics in fashion

Honored Contributor

Perhaps paisley is new and trendy to Courtney.  I know it's been around a long time, because I've been on the planet longer than Courtney :-)

PS - I ordered that top when it first came out.  Was the only printed top from Denim & Co that was so rubbery, I could slingshot it across the room.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

Paisley "new", LOL!   Coutney hasn't been around that long, I don't even think she is 30!

I have loved paisley since way back when!Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

Maybe she's just keeping up with fashion mags like Elle and Marie Claire that are siting paisley as one of the biggest style trends of 2015 calling it the new-season print. 

Your 2nd to last sentence, "My generation has more spending power" made me smile. It reminded me of the line in the movie Fried Green tomatoes where the young girls take the older lady's parking spot saying, "Face it, lady, we're younger and faster!"

Her response as she rammed their car over and over ~

"Face it girls, I'm older and have more insurance." Woman Very Happy

Honored Contributor

I agree there's virtually nothing much new - after living a fairly long life we've seen quite a bit and what comes around for the most part is just some slightly new veraion of what we saw in the past whether we're talking clothes, jewlery music, art, and on and on.

That said - the only top I've pruchased so far in 2015 is a paislet.  Bought it at Nordies several months back.  I can't remember seeing much of anything paisley in the past few years, so my top feels quite new -- and got rave reviews from my friends who saw it for the first time on me last week.  There were 9 of us together for dinner and my paisley was the only of its kind, so I'll forgive Courtney talking about paisley being new.  It is -- again.

I didn't buy it becasue it was paisley.  I bought it becasue I like the style and fit as well as the fabric.  Not designer, not hunreds of dollars.  Easy care and for me, year-round wearable as I love from NY to Florida and back.

Trusted Contributor

I simply can't watch Courtney.  The more she's on, the less QVC I watch.

Valued Contributor

But, that's part of my point. Not only is she an......(well you fill in the blank). If they are going to have these supposedly young, fresh, hip girls on, then these girls should have experience/education in their CV's; or at least be required to take a course on fashion history!
I'm an RN. Obviously my profession required a great deal of education and knowledge. But with all that, if I decided I wanted to work in pediatrics rather than surgical recovery....I would need to go back and delve much further into the speciality to perform my job responsibly. Nurses can be pulled into different departments in certain situations. But for the most part, in the nursing of 2015, we choose a speciality. Just like NP's, PA's, etc..
These twenty and even thirty something girls had better learn fashion history and beyond the past few generations.
What these hosts are becoming.....is talking heads!
Honored Contributor

As other posters have said, how would Courtney know what was worn in the 60's?  Thats, lets see...........50 years ago, more or less. Gee, the time passes by so quickly. . . . . . .  Smiley Happy

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).