Honored Contributor

Re: Cute sun hats that Lisa R is selling....

[ Edited ]

I was looking for a sun hat last year but really didn't want one that had a saying on it.  I ended up caving and getting one that says Hello Sunshine around the brim.

I paid $9.99 or it from Lakeside Collection.  I got a ton of compliments on that hat and it's going on my cruise next week.  LOL

I do like the shape of Lisa's hat but that price tag is a no for me. 

Honored Contributor

I can't believe she has a following.  I would not pay $65 for that hat that cost $2 to make.

kindness is strength
Valued Contributor

Lots of cute sun hats under $20 at TJMaxx or Marshall's. I wear a lot of hats so I am always on the lookout for a new one. I have a larger head so it's important for me to try them on first.

Honored Contributor

They're cute, but I wouldn't buy them from her for $65. 

Respected Contributor

@San Antonio Gal 

I did not do an exhaustive google search (in fact, I spent 60 seconds) but the Do Not Disturb hats that popped up were more of a floppy hat style. I think the one you posted gives better coverage and is a bit more stylish (to me).

I don't mean to argue with anyone here -- and I certainly understand the need to adhere to a budget. My point above was that I stick to my budget by buying fewer things but I sometimes spend more to get the style or quality that I want.  I also try to spend my money in places I feel good about. While I have an Amazon prime membership, I use it for things I can't buy from smaller businesses.  That's just me. No judgment at all on how others like to shop or need to shop. 

Esteemed Contributor

@cherry wrote:

Hats are always a bit big on me. We aren't all, one size fits all

I agree!  Some people look great in hats.  Other (like me) not so much!  I would have to try on a hat before buying.

Esteemed Contributor

@islandgrrl wrote:

@San Antonio Gal 

I did not do an exhaustive google search (in fact, I spent 60 seconds) but the Do Not Disturb hats that popped up were more of a floppy hat style. I think the one you posted gives better coverage and is a bit more stylish (to me).

I don't mean to argue with anyone here -- and I certainly understand the need to adhere to a budget. My point above was that I stick to my budget by buying fewer things but I sometimes spend more to get the style or quality that I want.  I also try to spend my money in places I feel good about. While I have an Amazon prime membership, I use it for things I can't buy from smaller businesses.  That's just me. No judgment at all on how others like to shop or need to shop. 

I've been seeing this hat in stores for a couple of years, probably longer.  Not a floppy style, but the same one.  I did a search online the day I first saw this thread, and I found two pretty quickly.  (And some floppy ones also!)

I think most of us are willing to spend a lot of money for things we love.  My issue is with over-paying.  Even when I feel that I'm splurging, I still want to get the best price.  I would never pay double or triple what I could get the same thing for elsewhere.

I don't mean to argue either.  :-)  I'm just saying that breaking the bank a bit to buy something more stylish or something we simply like better is understandable.  But in this case there's no reason to pay what LR is charging.  It's not made special for her customers, and it's not unique at all.  I think a lot of her fans/customers don't even bother to look elsewhere, and I can't imagine blindly spending my money like that.

Valued Contributor

I only became a hat wearer when spending 6 months of the year as a Floridian snowbird. I bought a fabulous Panama hat (my favorite) and a wider brim hat (no silly sayings and not as sloppy as LR's) 4 years ago for less than LR wants for 1 hat - and they are both still in great shape.