Honored Contributor

@gailcoco wrote:

Larger women should wear boot cut or bell bottoms to look slimmer.  In my opinion it just makes a short fat woman look sloppy and larger.

I’m a short, fat woman with long arms, long trunk, and very short legs. I look like an ice cream cone (double scoop!) in tapered or ankle slimmed pants. We are all different.

Honored Contributor

I think some people are scared to death of age. I embrace it, an am proud of it. Every age has its beauty

Honored Contributor

@cherry wrote:

I don't care what attitiude you have ,old is old ,and young is young..It's better to grow old gracefully ,than to be a laughing stock..read the desiderata @Shanus

For myself ONLY, I prefer to be a “laughing stock” than invisible, as I have been many times when dressing conservatively.

I’m not the slightest bit concerned about being laughed at, either. I’ve been laughed at in various periods of my life for what I consider very good reasons, like standing up against bullies for instance so I guess I’ve wound up with a tough skin.

I totally agree with you @cherry, that “old is old” but that won’t stop me from wearing a Star Wars T-shirt when I go out today. Can’t help it if  “the Fourth is with me”! 

Honored Contributor

@violann wrote:

@cherry wrote:

I don't care what attitiude you have ,old is old ,and young is young..It's better to grow old gracefully ,than to be a laughing stock..read the desiderata @Shanus

For myself ONLY, I prefer to be a “laughing stock” than invisible, as I have been many times when dressing conservatively.

I’m not the slightest bit concerned about being laughed at, either. I’ve been laughed at in various periods of my life for what I consider very good reasons, like standing up against bullies for instance so I guess I’ve wound up with a tough skin.

I totally agree with you @cherry, that “old is old” but that won’t stop me from wearing a Star Wars T-shirt when I go out today. Can’t help it if  “the Fourth is with me”! 

@violann  Each of us makes our own decisions about what we choose to wear. It may not fit within the square of someone else’s thinking, but that’s what makes us an individual.

Honored Contributor

I don't think a Star Wars shirt/jeans  is mutton dressed as lamb. It is some poor woman ,who is so desperate to look like she is 20 ,when 20 was 50 years ago. I"m 71 and I know that  there are just things that make you look worse ,and not better

Honored Contributor

@cherry wrote:

I don't think a Star Wars shirt/jeans  is mutton dressed as lamb. It is some poor woman ,who is so desperate to look like she is 20 ,when 20 was 50 years ago. I"m 71 and I know that  there are just things that make you look worse ,and not better

@cherry

You paint with a broad brush!  It all depends on what one was wearing when they were 20.  

Back in 1963, I got my first turtleneck shirt and cords.  I was 21 years old.

I'm still wearing turtlenecks and cords at 75.  Still doing my nails, having my hair done and wearing patent leather shoes!  But, I'm also wearing LOGO with my patent leather shoes these days.

Honored Contributor

A turtleneck isn't exposing crepe  skin   on a plunging decolletage nor showing spidery veins ,on a mini skirt @ALRATIBA

Respected Contributor
  • Plus size women should stick to neutral monochromatic looks because it appears to make them look slimmer.

Not this woman. I'm a size 3X. Smallest parts on my body are ears and hands. No amount of all black/navy/brown/gray will make me look like I've lost tons of weight. And I love color and mixing and matching shades. There are a lot of color choices out there, why stick to just one unless the monochromatic look is what you want. I like neutrals and have quite a bit of them. Just not paired all together.