Honored Contributor

Clothes Associated With Bad Memories

This week I was organizing my armoire and storing some winter things. Yes I just got around to that, because of the April weather where I live...and my life.

I found this long thin duster sweater that I forgot I had. I bought it in the hospital gift shop when my Mother was in there for two weeks last October. I remember the weather went from a heat wave one week to freezing the next. I was freezing in that hospital and had to buy it.

I looked at that sweater and thought why would I ever want to wear it again. I know it's just a material thing, but for me it is awfully difficult to separate.

What do you do with clothing like that, do you donate it or keep wearing it?

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Honored Contributor

Re: Clothes Associated With Bad Memories

@Greeneyedlady21...I would quickly get rid of it. I tend to be kind of emotional when it comes to clothing attached to sad events. 

Hope you are doing well...

Contributor

My Father was in critical condition in the hospital.  Got a call from his doctor they wanted to remove him from all life support machines.  This was in 2007.  I still have the shirt I worn that morning in the hospital.  I keep it in my closet, haven't worn it since but can't get rid of it.

Honored Contributor

If it's like a bad reminder. Give it away.

If it costs a lot, you may want to keep it.  But remember IT is a THING.

You may find comfort in it, at another time. Only you know.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Greeneyedlady21  Donate it. It has served the purpose, but you don't need it now. Let someone else wear it who will not suffer with painful memories. Sending thoughts for peace this weekend and in the days ahead.  

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

When my Mom died, I needed a black suit for the funeral - I didn't pack well for the trip, wasn't thinking.  Bought the first one I saw at the first store we saw - AT - any other time it would become a favorite and a staple in my wardrobe, it was cut very well.  But it was always pushed further and further to the back of my closet, never wore it again, then finally last year I donated it, hoping someone could benefit from it.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have a sweater that I wore when I had to euthanize my husband’s favorite dog.  Coincidentally, it was the same one that I wore four years later on the day my husband passed away.

I keep it in the bottom of a tote bag in my closet.  I have no desire to part with it as yet, material possession or not.

Honored Contributor

@BirkiLady wrote:

@Greeneyedlady21  Donate it. It has served the purpose, but you don't need it now. Let someone else wear it who will not suffer with painful memories. Sending thoughts for peace this weekend and in the days ahead.  

@BirkiLady beautifully stated. Heart

Respected Contributor

Years ago my Dad passed away in the hospital during winter.  I (and others in my family) stayed overnight in the hospital family room waiting for the end, which eventually came in the early AM hours. 

I wore a pair of winter ankle boots.  I could never look at those boots again without thinking of that night. 

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Honored Contributor

I don't think I've ever been in that situation.