Honored Contributor

Re: Business Casual Dress Code

Unfortuntately that is all I have and I really cant aford a shopping spree

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

If you own jeans, leave them at home!

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

When employees ask me what "Business Casual" means I describe it as coordinated separates.

Solid black, navy or charcoal/gray pants or skirt and a twinset or blouse.

As an example, I also point them to a line like Ralph Lauren and show them how there will be a whole "family" of items that go together and show them how all the pieces mix and match.

And then they can go to Kohls, Target, Marshall's, wherever, and make something similar in their price range.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Trusted Contributor

Business casual is business attire in a more relaxed way.  Not corporate buttoned up wall street wear.  Nice slacks or skirt, blouse or nice top,with a jacket or cardigan (or even a twinset), a simple sheath dress with a little cardi, sensible shoes and nice accessories/jewelry - not overdone.  I work in a very large law firm and we are business casual and we have casual day on Friday (jeans)l.  The only time I need to wear a suit is if I am meeting clients or going to court.  Other than that, I am comfy everyday.  Just look pulled together.  It's really amazing to me how lax the dress codes have gotten.  

Trusted Contributor

If you do not work there, or not yet, it's a good plan to dress just one notch up from the managers, teachers, interviewers, or clients you will be with. Wear a jacket and pants or skirt or dress the first day, see what those people wear, and adjust accordingly to stay just slightly up. For example, if they wear polo shirts and chinos, you might wear a dress shirt or cardigan. If they wear jeans and tees, you could wear polo shirts and chinos.

For a place you will be working permanently as an employee, do the same thing, but adjust so that you are wearing whatever prevails in the people at the same level as you or one level up. If absolutely everyone wears loud colors and flowing dresses, well, you can too, if you like those things.

But whatever you do, feel comfortable in your clothes. If you don't feel like yourself in skirts or heels, wear nice pants and dressy loafers. If you don't feel comfortable in chinos or knits, wear trousers.

You've got it made already, though. Your two black pants, with shirts and jackets or cardis, and a scarf or necklace, will take you there every single day, so you can take your time deciding what feels right for you and the environment.

Super Contributor

I work for a major international consumer products company, and we have had a "business casual" dress code for over 10 years. In addition to the information posted here, maxi skirts/maxi dresses, as well as cropped pants, are allowed for ladies. We also have Blue Jean Fridays; jeans should be neat (no holes or rips) and should be dark indigo or stonewashed.
Honored Contributor

@I am still oxox wrote:

Unfortuntately that is all I have and I really cant aford a shopping spree

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

If you own jeans, leave them at home!

@I am still oxox

A shopping spree isn't necessary, but you really need a nice pair of slacks .... black or navy.   

Respected Contributor

it's at a community college right so they are dissuading people from showing up in crop tops and tees and leggings and torn jeans,  i would wear dark rinse jeans or black jeans and a nice top and maybe a light jacket or blazer if needed.  its still fairly warm in Sept. and you don't want to roast if the A/C doesn't work.  you could wear lightweight boots and bootcuts.

Esteemed Contributor

@bri20 wrote:

I don't think you can ever go wrong with black pants and a nice top.

Dark wash, dressy jeans might be appropriate.  See what others are wearing.  Usually everyone dresses up for the first few days and then they start relaxing and getting a little more casual.

I agree with bri's assessment.  OP is attending a class at a community college, not a job interview.  There, however, might be interview role playing so I would put my best foot forward.  Dark rinse jeans would be fine, maybe paired with wedge sandals/shoes and a dressy top or a nice t and cardigan or jacket.  I would say no capris and t shirts.  

Honored Contributor

I can only speak for my company, the off site campuses went business casual 6 years ago.  Jeans are allowed but they must be clean, neat, no rips-tears-distressing.  Men must wear shirts with collars but they can wear polo shirts.  Sneakers are not allowed. Women can wear sandals, men cannot.   Women can wear sleeveless tops but not tank tops.  The straps must be "three fingers" wide is how we differentiate sleeveless from a tank.  Women can wear tee shirts but no one can have slogans or pictures on the shirts except for small school insignias on a pocket.  So, you'll see women in pants or jeans or khakis (ankle pants are ok but not pedal pushers) or jeans with tees and flats or sandals.  You'll see guys in jeans or khakis or dress pants with polo shirts or short sleeve dress shirts or long sleeve dress shirts with the rolled up cuffs.  Some of the guys do wear boat shoes.  This summer, we were very proud of the ladies because no one showed up in anything inapropriate.  That has never happened before.  Every summer, we have to send some woman home to change because she  will show up in a barely there mini skirt or a something that is too sheer or a strapless dress or rubber flip flops.  But this year, no one took advantage.  Interestingly, we have never had a single incident of a guy breaking the dress code rule.