Respected Contributor

iPhone and watch recommendations

Hi everyone.  My sister wants to move from a flip phone to iPhone and she would also like to get an Apple Watch.

i don't think she needs to go with the latest iPhone.  Can you give me an idea what one she should choose.  I bought the XR new and I usually keep mine for about five years.  I think iPhone is on 13 now.  

One of the reasons she is interested in the watch is the fall detected feature.  Not sure what the latest watch is (6?) and would appreciate comments on that as well.

Thanks in advance.  LM

Esteemed Contributor

Re: iPhone and watch recommendations

@Lilysmom1 wrote:

Hi everyone.  My sister wants to move from a flip phone to iPhone and she would also like to get an Apple Watch.

i don't think she needs to go with the latest iPhone.  Can you give me an idea what one she should choose.  I bought the XR new and I usually keep mine for about five years.  I think iPhone is on 13 now.  

One of the reasons she is interested in the watch is the fall detected feature.  Not sure what the latest watch is (6?) and would appreciate comments on that as well.

Thanks in advance.  LM

@Lilysmom1

Apple has a  very nice comparison feature  on the company website to help make shopping easier.

A new Apple 7 watch comes to market  October 8, 2021.  You can still find the Apple 6 watch. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Nuttmeg , how am I ever going to get along without you if they close the boards 😢.

While I was waiting for a reply that is exactly where I was doing the comparison on the Apple site.  I am leaning to IPhone 12, at least 128g and Watch 7.  She doesn't need the latest iPhone but O don't want one that will be dated soon.

Watch 7 has a bigger face.  If there is not much difference in price between 6 and 7, I will opt for 7.  Mine is a 4 and I could not live without it.

Thanks @Nuttmeg .  LM

Respected Contributor

@Nuttmeg , did you move over to the new board?  LM

Respected Contributor

@Lilysmom1 She would have to get at least an iphone 12 as that and the iphone 13 are the only versions that support 5G service and many carriers are moving to 5G service only.  My carrier is and I have to upgrade my iphone before December 31 or it would not be served.  

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Lilysmom1 wrote:

@Nuttmeg , did you move over to the new board?  LM

Yes, I signed up for Wisteria Lane,yesterday. 

Respected Contributor

@ninjawife @Thanks for this info about 5G ... one thingI had not considered but an important piece of info.  

I was actually thinking about that as I have a laser printer that will not work on 5G.  Am I going to have to give that up I wonder? LM

Honored Contributor

I have the iphone 11  and LOVE it !!!! My DD has the iwatch 6 and she LOVES it !!