Honored Contributor

Our new car(2016 Buick) has Wifi capability in it. So we can use our smartphones , tablets , could even use a windows laptop if we wanted to. The first 6 months is free but to continue to get it after that we have to pay for it. We have found we really enjoy having our tablets & phones having unlimited use while in the car & we think we would enjoy having it while we travel back & forth  when we snowbird , so we will probably continue ours. 

Would you pay for wifi in your car? How much would it be worth to you? 

Honored Contributor

Re: Wifi in the car

[ Edited ]

I think it is the wave of the future.... standard WIFI everywhere. At this time I would not need it as I rarely use my car other than going to the store.  And it would depend on the cost..... But for families like yours @151949  it might be wonderful to have in the car.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

The price ranges from $5 to $50 a month depending on if you are already an Onstar subscriber and how much service you purchase.

Respected Contributor

Since we fly rather than drive to FL, we have little need for WIFI.  However, on rare occasions, we can use our jet pack from Verizon if we need to use the iPad for info.

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Honored Contributor

For me, never.  WIFI in the car is not worth anything.  That may be because as a single person in the car, I never answer my phone nor do I call or text while I'm driving. 

If I need to make an essential call, my phone has capability - at least it always has in the past.

Honored Contributor

It would be for the passengers not the drivers.

Respected Contributor

@millieshops wrote:

For me, never.  WIFI in the car is not worth anything.  That may be because as a single person in the car, I never answer my phone nor do I call or text while I'm driving. 

If I need to make an essential call, my phone has capability - at least it always has in the past.

I agree that if you are a single person it would be of no use.  You can't play on tablet if you are driving.  To call you don't need wifi.

I'm not single, but we rarely go anywhere together.  We have our own vehicles, so we would't need it either.

If we travel, we fly.  We do have an hour and a half to the airport, but I can play on my (large) phone during those few trips.

It would be an awesome feature if you had kids to entertain during road trips.

Honored Contributor

No and nothing

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

If it was free, I'd take  it.  I would not pay for it, however.  There are so many hot spots you can find on the road while traveling if you really need wifi,   We have parked in McD to use their service without even going in.

What would you use it for while on the road while driving?  Smartphones work without it to make a call as well as your GPS.  Besides checking e-mail, which you could do from any fast food parking lot, what other purpose can you think of?

Now, if you were a Realtor or some other business person who used wifi for their job and were usually on the road, it would be awesome.

i just thought to add... I have a built in DVD player in my van.  I thought my Grands would love  it for when we took long trips 2-3 times a year.  They aren't interested at all and the novelty wore off quickly.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

No. I don't have any need for it. I fly when I travel 90% of the time and have unlimited data on my phone. 

The only way I would consider paying for it would be if I knew I would consistently use it. It would've been great for my sister when my nephew was younger, playing travel hockey, and they were constantly on the road. If I only used it for a few days twice a year to get back and forth between north and south, it's unlikely that I'd consider it. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~