Honored Contributor

@aunt bea 

Have  had Tracfone for probably 10 years. Have had every big brand phone by buying new almost every year. Was cheaper buying new and getting an upgraded phone and all the minutes etc that come with the phones.

Have an LG right now, but when my year expires I have a newer Samsung when I start using it later this month.

Now I am not into texting or talking on my cell. If fact it is seldom even turned on, and when it I'd, only 2 people have my number, my wife and 1 other.

Cost wise I have had some years where my monthly cost was a little over $5. Never found any plan with the all those plans and features that comes even close to that price. As far as connections? Never had an issue, and at times my wife's higher $$$ plan and Samsung S3-4-5-6 could not even be used in our own house.

Wait for the phone and plan that fits your needs, chances are you will be glad you did.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@Pipsqueak wrote:

SPURT..thank you very much for compiling the list of phones that going forward will be compatible with this network thingy happening in 2020. Was debating what to do about the phone I currently have with Tracfone, whether to add service time to keep it active or get a new phone altogether. But your list answered my question, currently use a Galaxy J3 Luna Pro so I should be good to go for 2020 when buying my service time, talk, data and text. (Like you I always purchase through their website and never had any problems) However, QVC and HSN are both running good deals on Tracfone Samsung Galaxy phones right now that make it tempting to get a new one.

@Pipsqueak 

I buy my Tracfone phones through QVC but add the other stuff through their website...

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Esteemed Contributor

I had a Samsung G7 and I didn't like having all the "Samsung" stuff on it.  Took several screens to get what I wanted.

Changed for an LF Premier Pro and very happy with it!

The LG is easier to operate to me.  Love all the features.

Esteemed Contributor

@Zhills wrote:

I had a Samsung G7 and I didn't like having all the "Samsung" stuff on it.  Took several screens to get what I wanted.

Changed for an LF Premier Pro and very happy with it!

The LG is easier to operate to me.  Love all the features.

I just delete or turn off those manufacturers apps. It's just more junk that wastes space and collects info on its user.

Occasional Contributor

Hello, I have had an LG Tracfone for 5 yrs and I love everything about it. I am retired and cannot afford those crazy bills my daughters pay!!! Worth every penny!

Regular Contributor

Thank you all for your responses!  I'm seriously considering purchasing for 2020.  My one problem will be texts as all my nieces, nephews and brothers communicate that way!!  Even with purchasing more texting it will still be cheaper than what I'm paying now. 

I will check out the deal on HSN and the Tracfone blog. 

I saw the Big Deal on my IPhones Program Guide, it went up to the 25th of the month.  The one on the site only goes up to next week (guess it is because they have so many channels to preview!). 

Thank you all for your input! 

Super Contributor

Might I suggest Amazon for a Tracphone...

Ive purchased several very cheap trac/smartphones from there w no issues.

Theres a $15 / 5” screen

and a $20 / 5.3” screen

all 4g

16g

w expandable memory.

One is called the *LT*

the other is the Blade.

(Still on sale at this half price).

Ive purchased several of them to have on hand as future gifts, wether for Christmas or Birthdays, etc.

Regular Contributor

The Big Deal is posted now E233676 Samsung Galazy J7

Valued Contributor

@aunt bea

I have used Tracfone for many years now.  I tend to get a new phone every year or two.  It used to be cheaper to get a whole new phone every year rather than buying a years worth of time.  But because I very much like my LG Stylo, and because the fine posters here let me know how to buy cheap time, I kept my LG this year and paid something like $50 for a year extension of time.

The real reason to buy a new phone for Tracfone frequently is to get a more updated operating system.  The operating system (Android) version cannot be upgraded on the Tracfone phones.  While a newer Android version may have the latest bells and whistles, the importance of the upgrade has to do with security.

All the phones sold for Tracfone are sold with old versions of Android.  The Samsung you are looking at has 2 versions back of Android.  It gets updated every year.  The Android 8.0 Oreo goes back to 2017.

I don't know if there are Tracfone sold with last year's version, called Android 9.0 Pie.  The 2019 version is called Android 10.

All that said, I think the Samsung you are looking at is well equipped at a great price.  

Esteemed Contributor

@aunt bea wrote:

Thank you all for your responses!  I'm seriously considering purchasing for 2020.  My one problem will be texts as all my nieces, nephews and brothers communicate that way!!  Even with purchasing more texting it will still be cheaper than what I'm paying now. 

I will check out the deal on HSN and the Tracfone blog. 

I saw the Big Deal on my IPhones Program Guide, it went up to the 25th of the month.  The one on the site only goes up to next week (guess it is because they have so many channels to preview!). 

Thank you all for your input! 

@aunt bea

What phone are you currently using? Do you really understand the specs of the device you are buying?

How do these two devices compare? Here are two review sites I like GSMarena.com and Phonearena.com.

JMO. I would buy a new  unlocked iPhone from Apple. You can ask your family to help you get a Sim kit to use Tracfone.