Honored Contributor

Smoke Detector hardwired to electricity!!

Two nights ago, we started hearing the beep, beep of the smoke detector, so my husband took it down only to find out that it is wired into the electric wiring in the ceiling, which we never heard of. There is no battery with it. Anybody know how to stop the beeping without calling an electrician? Also, now the phone isn't working either so they must be on the same line. Hubby tried doing something at the fuse box to no avail. Thanks.

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Super Contributor

Re: Smoke Detector hardwired to electricity!!

Maybe they are both on the same breaker since today's wireless phones require electricity. If the breaker is off for whatever reason...the smoke detectors will continue to beep to remind you to put batteries in. They should have a battery even if electric wired in or mine do anyway.

Super Contributor

Mine are hardwired to the electricity also. There is a battery though, but it took me about 1 l/2 years to find it! Finally, a friend's husband who is an electrician was over, and he showed me where it was. Go online and look up the model of your smoke detector. The instruction book should show you where the battery is.

Some people do drugs. I do shoes....Celine Dion
Honored Contributor

We looked and looked....there is no battery, lol. Hubby tooke the unti down, had a heck of a time opening it and there was no battery. I did some googling but didn't think to look up the manual. Will do that when I get home to look at the name of it. I'd hate to pay an electrician when if it turns out to be something simple. I appreciate this help, guys.

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Honored Contributor

Mine are hard-wired too. They have batteries, but just for back-up when the electricity is out. They're a pain to replace. I suppose hard-wired has advantages over battery-powered but I wish I knew what they were.

Trusted Contributor

There isn't anything at all unusual about having a smoke detector hard wired to electricity a couple of mine are also wired to the security system for them to monitor. Most also have a battery as a backup. Those batteries are very difficult to replace and for some reason they always seem to start chirping in the middle of the night!

Honored Contributor

Ours too are hardwired but have battery back up. Look up the manufacturer and model number and go from there...good luck.

Trusted Contributor

Mine are also hard wired, per the Codes Dept. where I live. I had the same issue and the end result was that i had a defective unit. Get in contact with the maker of the unit to see if they are having issues with their product. Hope you get this resolved soon!!!

~Breathe In~ Breathe Out~ Move On~
Super Contributor

On 3/28/2014 ValuSkr said:

I suppose hard-wired has advantages over battery-powered but I wish I knew what they were.

Several actually. First, a hardwired smoke detector has 120 volt power and a battery back up so no matter what you have a functional smoke detector, even if the power goes out. Second, usually hardwired smoke detectors have a signal wire connected between them that allows them to communicate to each other when there is smoke. This means that even in a large home if there is a fire on the other side of the house the smoke detector in your bedroom will go off giving you plenty of time to evacuate. Third, you will be in compliance with current code requirements.

Super Contributor

Our upstairs smoke detector is hardwired with battery backup. We bought a new one a few years ago because it was chirping even with new batteries, so we just replaced it, no big deal, not expensive at Home Depot.