Honored Contributor

Re: RING doorbell security camera has hit a bump

[ Edited ]

The cameras are not the problem. It's the wifi router where those devices are connected. When a router gets hacked then your network inside your home becomes vulnerable and everything connected to your wifi router can be accessed from an outside source. Update the router firmware often by unplugging the power cord from the wall. This will update the firmware and reset the router. Routers accumulate unnecessary data over time and this data needs to be deleted. That data can be used by hackers to gain access to your network. Unplug the power from your router to clear out this unnecessary data and do it often to keep your wifi safe.

Esteemed Contributor

@Catch71 wrote:

Saw that on the news last night.  Glad I didnt jump on that bandwagon!  Alexa security, now the ring doorbell, whats next?  Privacy is being invaded everywhere electronically.

What's next?  If it is digital, if it is connected to the internet, if it uses radio waves, if it is not properly secured it is subject to hacking.  Smart/cell phones, laptops, PCs, security cameras, web cams, blue tooth, connected appliances, baby monitors, etc. are all vulnerable.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Honored Contributor

@KingstonsMom 

Guess I ain't  getting it. How are "in-home security cameras" suppose to protect anyone that is in the home? Do they have face recognition or some other method of identifying an intruder? If so, what are the protection methods applied to protect one against an intruder?

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

@hckynut , a lot of people use these devices to monitor children and/or pets  from another location.  I guess you could also use the feed to identify someone who has broken into your home.

I have Ring doorbell.  I love that.  It shows activity near the door even if the bell is not rung.  LM

Honored Contributor

@hckynut 

As others have mentioned, "security camera" is really a misnomer, they don't really provide security, they just inform you of what's going on in your home when you're not there.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

There are apps, some free to use, which can store your camera vids and stills. These images can be used in court as proof of an intruder in your house or place of business. So yes, cameras do offer security and having them in your environment has been proven to discourage criminal activity.

I have a few 'dummy' cameras mounted on the outside of my house. There were a couple of times when the cops knocked on my door asking if I had video from my cameras. I told them 'no' those cameras are fake.

Honored Contributor

@KingstonsMom @Lilysmom 

Thank you. I had ADT in-home sensors when we moved into our home. When activated they would sound a loud alarm and also notify ADT. I dropped ADT because I didn't feel the need for this, or the monthly fees.

From the member here that started this thread, it was mentioned about a Male in a child's bedroom singing, or something or other. From that I got the impression that author thought some protective measure was suppose to do something to prevent or end this intrusion.

Thus my questions. I haven't watched any of these new surveillance camera presentations for a long time and thought the technology had been advanced to somehow protect owners. Really didn't see how, but I never underestimate new technologies, or supposed advancements.

Thanks again for your replies,

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

The user needs to set up the device properly with the two way authentication...

.when I get into my DH's retirement account, there is always a 2nd confirmation that I have to do before I am allowed access....it might be irritating but necessary.

Honored Contributor

@hckynut  From what I undertand....the user did not set the pass word up properly...there are two password steps and again, from what I understand, they only did 1 step.  Someone more teckie than me can probably explain it better.

Esteemed Contributor

@SilleeMee Thank you for the detailed info regarding the need to reset the router often. I always thought a strong password and secure network was all that was needed, although ours is reset from time to time because of our crazy weather. I just reset it after reading your post.

~~~All we need is LOVE💖