Super Contributor

Re: Question re streaming on t.v.

On 12/20/2014 glb613 said:
On 12/19/2014 Lynnj said:

Streaming means watching over the internet. Others in the above posts gave great examples of what to buy (if you don't already have it) to bring internet to your tv and you can watch through your tv.

You can also stream using your computer (its already connected to the internet). On the computer you would login to Amazon Prime, Netflix, HuLu, etc. You'll need to set up an account, which fees apply, but you can watch whatever you want on your computer. at those various sites.

If you have a laptop computer, and you follow as I explained in paragraph above, you could connect your laptop to your TV and watch whatever on your laptop through your TV screen. Hook up to TV is pretty easy, if the laptop and computer each have HDMI ports. With 1 HDMI cable, plug one side into the laptop, and the other side into the TV. You may need to select something on the TV to tell it to stop viewing from the port that your Dish TV is coming from, and instead view from the port that you hooked your laptop up to.

Many years ago, before they had smart TVs with internet capabilities built in, I used to connect my laptop to my TV with an HDMI cable and watch some sporting events that were not local to me. I loved being able to watch on big screen, sitting back on the couch, instead of sitting on a chair with the laptop and little laptop screen. I also have friends that use the blueray DVD built into their laptop, connect laptop to TV, and use that as their blueray player. No need to buy a specific blueray DVD player just for the TV.

I tried to do that and it doesn't work. I can watch non Bluray movies just fine but a Bluray won't play. I went online and found out there is a protection built into the disk so it can't be watched on more than one screen at a time. While you aren't watching it on both the notebook computer and the TV, the disc thinks you are.

Maybe thats newer disc's? I don't know, just guessing, I don't have blueray on computer or separate player. But I did watch something at my friends that had the hook up as described above with computer connected to tv.
Respected Contributor

I connected my HP notebook to my TVs, tried to play several Bluray discs and they wouldn't play. I no longer have the computer so I can't try this:

"The message The content is protected. The content is not allowed to play in current display mode may appear playing a Blu-ray movie in dual display mode. This behavior is intentional. For copy-protection purposes, viewing a Blu-ray movie is limited to only one display at a time. Therefore, you must choose either the notebook display or an external display device to view the output from the Blu-ray video. Press Fn + F4 to toggle to HDMI only. This action refreshes the screen, and transfers the display from the notebook to the external display."

Respected Contributor

Thank you all so much - now have an idea of what to do. Am checking out the Roku stick all the information you have sent me is great. I know now what to look for being completely clueless before. Thank you all
Super Contributor

I connected my HP notebook to my TVs, tried to play several Bluray discs and they wouldn't play. I no longer have the computer so I can't try this:

"The message The content is protected. The content is not allowed to play in current display mode may appear playing a Blu-ray movie in dual display mode. This behavior is intentional. For copy-protection purposes, viewing a Blu-ray movie is limited to only one display at a time. Therefore, you must choose either the notebook display or an external display device to view the output from the Blu-ray video. Press Fn + F4 to toggle to HDMI only. This action refreshes the screen, and transfers the display from the notebook to the external display."

See, so this says that you an do it. You just can't view from BOTH screens at the same time. You needed to switch it from playing on the computer screen to the TV screen.

Respected Contributor

On 12/20/2014 Lynnj said:

See, so this says that you an do it. You just can't view from BOTH screens at the same time. You needed to switch it from playing on the computer screen to the TV screen.

When I put the Bluray disc into the computer, it wouldn't play on the TV. They were connected to each other with a HDMI cable. The disc must have thought it was playing on 2 screens because it was in the computer. I no longer have the HP computer so I can't press the F4 key and see if it works and the computers I have now don't have an optical drive. Someone can try it and see if it can be done. For me, I'll either stream or use the Bluray players I have connected to the TVs.