Honored Contributor

Re: Question About HDMI Cable

On 3/28/2014 glb613 said:

You don't need to have a second coaxial cable from the cable box to the TV. Some don't realize the HDMI cable carries the signal, video, audio and replaces the need for the coaxial cable from the box to the TV.

With my service, and also with the instructions they gave when I got the new cable boxes, it didn't mention the additional coaxial cable from the box to the tv. But I could not get any reception with just wall to tv and hdmi. It was just a black screen - nothing.

So I called the cable co to see what I was doing wrong and was told that 1) there needs to be a coaxial BOTH from the wall to box and box to tv; and 2) that is why they put two coaxial cables in with each box.

That said, I suppose different cable companies have different hook ups. That was just the way it's always been here. Whatever you are hooking up to, whether it be a cable box or a Tivo, you need two coaxial cables.

Respected Contributor

On 3/28/2014 chickenbutt said:

You don't need to have a second coaxial cable from the cable box to the TV. Some don't realize the HDMI cable carries the signal, video, audio and replaces the need for the coaxial cable from the box to the TV.

With my service, and also with the instructions they gave when I got the new cable boxes, it didn't mention the additional coaxial cable from the box to the tv. But I could not get any reception with just wall to tv and hdmi. It was just a black screen - nothing.

So I called the cable co to see what I was doing wrong and was told that 1) there needs to be a coaxial BOTH from the wall to box and box to tv; and 2) that is why they put two coaxial cables in with each box.

That said, I suppose different cable companies have different hook ups. That was just the way it's always been here. Whatever you are hooking up to, whether it be a cable box or a Tivo, you need two coaxial cables.

That's BS. You don't need 2 coaxial cables. You need to change the input on the TV to HDMI.

Respected Contributor

I have always wondered about the hdmi cable. We have comcast and 3 new flat screens. We dont want to pay extra for the upgraded digital box so we just watch it with the little credit card sized cable box we have. My son in law said if you get an hdmi cable it will allow you to watch in hi def. i find that hard to believe! Apparently we are not getting the optimal picture. I still think we would have to get that extra or upgraded box.
Super Contributor

On 3/28/2014 bmorechick said: I have always wondered about the hdmi cable. We have comcast and 3 new flat screens. We dont want to pay extra for the upgraded digital box so we just watch it with the little credit card sized cable box we have. My son in law said if you get an hdmi cable it will allow you to watch in hi def. i find that hard to believe! Apparently we are not getting the optimal picture. I still think we would have to get that extra or upgraded box.
You'll need an HD box from the cable company to get the HD channels. For example, in my area, channel 5 is the non HD NBC channel. However, 105 is the HD channel I don't think I can access 105 without going through the cable box, which is an HD box.
Super Contributor

That's BS. You don't need 2 coaxial cables. You need to change the input on the TV to HDMI.

I agree. I said the same thing, that you only need one cable to the box, and one from the box to the tv. I've never heard of a hookup that required both since TVs are now using HDMI technology. But then I've never had charter cable either. So don't know?
Super Contributor

Jordan - this hookup is very simple, not anything that will stress you out. The back of the cable box is labeled. The back,of the new tv will be labeled. Buy an HDMI cable. It is so much easier. Since you are not changing the box, and only the tv, the hook up is even simpler.
Respected Contributor

On 3/28/2014 Lynnj said:

I agree. I said the same thing, that you only need one cable to the box, and one from the box to the tv. I've never heard of a hookup that required both since TVs are now using HDMI technology. But then I've never had charter cable either. So don't know?

The only exception is if you have an older tube style TV.

Honored Contributor

Wow! I don't know why I would lie. Both of the TVs I initially hooked up with the new cable boxes are HDTVs with a couple of HDMI ports and all the usual other ports.

With just the cable from wall to box and hdmi from box to tv gave nothing. I had to follow the cable company instructions and also run a coaxial from box to tv in order to get reception. Both tvs have input set on hdmi1 (which is the hdmi port into which the hdmi cable is connected).

HDMI does not replace coaxial. It replaces a/v cables.

I honestly have no reason to lie or just make stuff up so there is no reason to attack me.

Honored Contributor

I do have to apologize about being wrong with one thing - with the newer (Series 4, anyway) Tivos, we don't have to run the coaxial from the Tivo to the Tv - just from the wall to the Tivo. But with the TVs where we have to have cable BOXES, we DO have to run the coaxial from wall to box AND from box to TV.

Our cable boxes have two coaxial ports - one marked 'in' and one marked 'out'. From wall, coaxial goes to the 'in' port and then the 'out' port is where you have to run the coaxial from the box to the tv.

Then, you have to have either a/v or hdmi that runs from the box to tv.

Maybe our system is antiquated, but that's the way ours works.

Honored Contributor

On 3/28/2014 Lynnj said: Jordan - this hookup is very simple, not anything that will stress you out. The back of the cable box is labeled. The back,of the new tv will be labeled. Buy an HDMI cable. It is so much easier. Since you are not changing the box, and only the tv, the hook up is even simpler.

I went to Best Buy in the pouring rain and got my new tv. Now I hope I'll be able to connect the base to the tv, the salesman said it wasn't hard. I ended up buying an HDMI cable because it seemed easier. The saleman showed me were I'll have to plug it in the tv and just plug the other end into the cable box. One thing I wanted to say is be prepared and know your prices before you purchase something. The tv I got had a price of $199. I said to the salesman I think I saw online it was $168. He checked and sure enough it was $168 on line! I got it for that price but if I didn't know about it I would have been charged $199.