Trusted Contributor

QVC purchased Dell died!! Now very happy Mac Book Pro owner

[ Edited ]

Two years ago I purchased what I thought was a super inexpensive Dell Today's Special Value from the Q.  Up until three days ago I had no problems with it--when all the sudden it just wouldn't restart!  I kept getting an error message like it wanted to update but then the screen went black.

It turns out my hard drive was damaged and then the CPU unit also failed.  After learning that it would be $400 to get it fixed, I decided to go the the near by Apple Store.  Within about 30 minutes I found myself purchasing a new laptop which I have now had for two days!  That same day I asked the computer repair shop to trash /recycle my Dell as it was totally non functioning.

The new Mac computer was about $1800, which is about 3 times what the Dell was but I can say right away I notice a huge difference!!  You can just tell it's higher quality and so much better constructed.  While I am still getting used to some of the differences, I couldn't be happier.  And for my love of photography--the Mac is already so much easier in application of those programs (Lightroom and Photoshop)

I used to think the Q was so good for computer purchases but based on this experience I am now not so sure!!  

Honored Contributor

Re: QVC purchased Dell died!! Now very happy Mac Book Pro owner

Macs rock, I have worked on on for 20+ years and I have 3 in my home

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

Talk to me in 10 years or more - after you've amortized the price difference.

I bought a Dell 5 years ago (Costco) and it's still chugging and I still have the money I saved in the bank. The deal breaker at Apple for me came when after I had all the prices totalled up, the sales woman said, "Now you won't need another computer for 5 or 6 years."  What?! 

If I needed something the Apple could do that my Dell doesn't, then I'd pay more.  For my computer needs, this is fine --and even when I buy a Dell or HP or Toshiba replacement, I'll still have some of the money I decided not to spend 5 years ago.

Frequent Contributor

Frequent Contributor

I have had my MacBook for 9 years. I love it.  I have not regretted one day of buying it. Price is not everything. I have never worried about a virus and it has continued to run all this time.  Not to mention the support from Apple. They are wonderful!  I would never go back to a PC.  Glad you love your Mac.  

Trusted Contributor

@mdmc wrote:

I have had my MacBook for 9 years. I love it.  I have not regretted one day of buying it. Price is not everything. I have never worried about a virus and it has continued to run all this time.  Not to mention the support from Apple. They are wonderful!  I would never go back to a PC.  Glad you love your Mac.  

@mdmc

thank you!!!

Valued Contributor

Congratulations! I went through 4 PC laptops that were all pretty much junk.  The last one lasted exactly one year. When I took it to the local repair shop one of my friends who works there told me that they have started calling most of them "Friday night specials" because they are just thrown together. Yes, you CAN get a good one....but it's luck. I switched to a Macbook 2 years ago and have never been happier. This computer is much better than any PC I have ever used. 

Enjoy your new Mac.

Esteemed Contributor

@JasoninBoston, my next computer will be a Mac.  Windows 10 made that decision for me.  LM 

Respected Contributor

I'm sure you'll enjoy it for many years.  I went all Apple in 2012 and I'm glad I did. 

Honored Contributor

@glb613 wrote:

I'm sure you'll enjoy it for many years.  I went all Apple in 2012 and I'm glad I did. 

I love my Apple phone watch and pad, but not sure I want to spend that much on a laptop, but as someone upthread said, Windows10 pushed them over the edge.

Tried it hated it.

Right now have a Dell laptop that is just fine, but when it goes??????