Honored Contributor

Re: Is there any hope for this laptop?

Aha! That's good information. That means it gets through the BIOS fine and runs into issues from there on out. That screen comes up fairly early in the Windows loading process so re-installing/repairing the OS would probably be my next suggestion if you have the proper software. The fact that even that shows up is a good sign for the hard drive. That data would be stored on the hard drive so the computer can at least read that so the hard drive isn't totally fried. You may have lost a sector or two, or the data on its been corrupted, but the drive itself still sounds functional. If you have recovery discs and can get Windows back up and running you can then check out the hard drive to see if there are any issues with it.

Something else you can try is short-cutting that screen by tapping F8 constantly as the computer is booting. That should bring up an option to start Windows in Safe Mode that might work even if doing it from the screen you normally get doesn't. You might be able to jump ahead of the screen you typically get and get restarted in safe mode. If you do, then go to a restore point before the issue developed and try a restore from there and see what happens. Good luck!

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Respected Contributor

On 7/14/2014 scotttie said:

I have no idea what an externa enclosure is and I would not want to hook up anything to an existing computer. I don't have that kind of ability and would be concerned about messing up the other computer.

You're making it more difficult than it needs to be. An external enclosure is a USB device to house a hard drive. Once installed into the enclosure, you connect it to another computer via the USB port. It essentially becomes an external hard drive. To remove the hard drive on the laptop/notebook computer, you need a small phillips screwdriver, remove the cover then remove the hard drive. It's easy. If the hard drive isn't bad, you'll be able to see the contents using Windows Explorer. If there is no backup, you can transfer the data to a USB portable drive.

If the hard drive hasn't failed and the computer is relatively new, press the F11 key once a second during startup. That will take you to the recovery manager and there you can either repair Windows or restore it to factory conditions. Be advised, you may lose everything doing the repair and you will lose everything doing the recovery. So if there are photos or anything else of value, you need to get it before proceeding by doing what is listed in the first paragraph.

Respected Contributor

On 7/14/2014 gardenman said:

Aha! That's good information. That means it gets through the BIOS fine and runs into issues from there on out. That screen comes up fairly early in the Windows loading process so re-installing/repairing the OS would probably be my next suggestion if you have the proper software. The fact that even that shows up is a good sign for the hard drive. That data would be stored on the hard drive so the computer can at least read that so the hard drive isn't totally fried. You may have lost a sector or two, or the data on its been corrupted, but the drive itself still sounds functional. If you have recovery discs and can get Windows back up and running you can then check out the hard drive to see if there are any issues with it.

Something else you can try is short-cutting that screen by tapping F8 constantly as the computer is booting. That should bring up an option to start Windows in Safe Mode that might work even if doing it from the screen you normally get doesn't. You might be able to jump ahead of the screen you typically get and get restarted in safe mode. If you do, then go to a restore point before the issue developed and try a restore from there and see what happens. Good luck!

thank you. I will try that. I am not at home right now so i will do it when i get home and check in then.

Respected Contributor

On 7/14/2014 glb613 said:
On 7/14/2014 scotttie said:

I have no idea what an externa enclosure is and I would not want to hook up anything to an existing computer. I don't have that kind of ability and would be concerned about messing up the other computer.

You're making it more difficult than it needs to be. An external enclosure is a USB device to house a hard drive. Once installed into the enclosure, you connect it to another computer via the USB port. It essentially becomes an external hard drive. To remove the hard drive on the laptop/notebook computer, you need a small phillips screwdriver, remove the cover then remove the hard drive. It's easy. If the hard drive isn't bad, you'll be able to see the contents using Windows Explorer. If there is no backup, you can transfer the data to a USB portable drive.

If the hard drive hasn't failed and the computer is relatively new, press the F11 key once a second during startup. That will take you to the recovery manager and there you can either repair Windows or restore it to factory conditions. Be advised, you may lose everything doing the repair and you will lose everything doing the recovery. So if there are photos or anything else of value, you need to get it before proceeding by doing what is listed in the first paragraph.

I don't have an external enclosure. where do you get one and how much do they cost? thanks.

Respected Contributor

"I don't have an external enclosure. where do you get one and how much do they cost? thanks."

Before you do anything, reboot the computer pressing F8 key once a second and see if you can get into the safe mode. Post back with the results. BTW, what brand of computer is it?

Respected Contributor

Hey! I'm currently doing a system restore. I did the safe mode and f8.

The newest recovery point it gave me was 2012 but that's the latest one so I chose it.

It is now restoring. I'll keep you posted!

Respected Contributor

PS: I was already able to do a ""startup repair"" and that didn't do anything.

Respected Contributor

OMG!!!! OMG!!!! OMG!!!!!!

It worked!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YOU GUYS ARE MY HEROES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WHOA WHOA WHOA!!!! I AM SCREAMING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I AM NOW THE COMPUTER EXPERT AT OUR HOUSE rofl!!!!

So, will we have to reinstall "Home and Office" ???

I AM SO EXCITED!!!!

Drinks all around folks on me!!!

So, what do you think caused this and how long do you think it will keep on working?

Respected Contributor

My screen was the same way. The laptop would turn on but my screen was blank. The dog knocked it on the floor one too many times and it broke something. I love my laptop and had no desire to spend hundreds on a new one so I had it repaired - they were able to replace the screen. It's perfect again!

Honored Contributor

On 7/15/2014 scotttie said:

OMG!!!! OMG!!!! OMG!!!!!!

It worked!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YOU GUYS ARE MY HEROES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WHOA WHOA WHOA!!!! I AM SCREAMING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I AM NOW THE COMPUTER EXPERT AT OUR HOUSE rofl!!!!

So, will we have to reinstall "Home and Office" ???

I AM SO EXCITED!!!!

Drinks all around folks on me!!!

So, what do you think caused this and how long do you think it will keep on working?

You sound happier now. Whatever was causing the problem had already loaded by the time you got the screen that said there had been a problem that forced the computer to shut down and asked if you wanted to start in safe mode. By hitting F8 constantly you were able to get ahead of that thing (whatever it was) loading and go directly to the safe mode and that then gave you the ability to restore the computer to a previous restore date and regain control of the computer.

What caused it? Pick an option there are dozens, but it could have been malware of some sort, a bad sector on the disc, some corrupted data, a bad registry entry (my personal bet) or something else. By jumping ahead of the screen you typically got you were able to get ahead of whatever was causing the problem and get your computer back under control. Congratulations!

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!