Esteemed Contributor

Re: Is there any hope for this laptop?

On 7/12/2014 chickenbutt said:
On 7/12/2014 Matty6 said:
On 7/9/2014 chickenbutt said:

You can still get computers with Windows 7 from some manufacturers and retailers. I know that Toshiba still offers some with Win 7.

The good thing, however, is that if you don't like the silly looking Win8 you can install Classic Shell (classicshell.net) and make it look like WinVista or Win7. It's a tiny little install and just gives you choices on how you would like things like the start menu and numerous other things to look, so that they are more familiar to you and it's easier to find stuff.

My husband and I each have one Windows 8.1 computer and I set them both up. It's perfectly good and the only reminder I have of the tile screen thing is when I first turn it on.

Chickenbutt.. Technology goes forward not backward! I have a Toshiba computer and many other different brands and had others in the past and they are no longer selling computers with windows 7 unless you purchase a used one. I don't see what the big deal is with the tile option. I have windows 8.1 and folks that have windows 8 will have to update to windows 8.1 anyway. So, buying a computer with windows 8 is a waste of money and time. I am looking to forge ahead not backward.. I am looking very forward to ordering a new computer with windows 9 when they start bringing those out. Computers with vista, XP and 7 will not work with the new applications coming out and the updates are a nightmare to download! Just a friendly heads up!Smile

Um, thanks. I'm not sure what I'm being schooled on but I was just trying to help those who prefer the look of the previous operating systems. It doesn't change the OS at all. I think, also, when we refer to Win8 it includes 8.1, as that is how they are all going out now - at least from the manufacturers. Who knows what the shopping channels are selling! ha!

Hey, some folks like to stick what what is more familiar to them and I don't think they are hurt by it. I don't care for the tile thing but it doesn't really matter what I think. I made changes that make it the way I like it and I think choices are always good. Smiley Happy

I don't use any of the 'apps', so for me (and my husband who REALLY doesn't like change) just changing the appearance has been beneficial. I uninstalled as much of that as I was able but found that some of it is compulsory (which is kind of weird, IMO).

I'm enjoying my Win8 computer (well, ok - 8.1) as long as I have it set up so that I can find things. I do have a couple of laptops that are Win7 and one that is Vista. They are doing fine also. I guess Vista is supported until 2017 and Win7 until at least 2020, so that's also good. I actually have friends who are still using XP and cannot afford to buy more computers, so that's kind of a bummer for them. I feel badly about that.

Happy day to all! Smiley Happy

Okay whatever you say... have a nice day!

Esteemed Contributor

/2014 glb613 said:

Hmmm.... Most of the newer models come with a recovery APPLICATION.

ecovery medth? Care to elaborate?

Esteemed Contributor

On 7/12/2014 glb613 said:

Hmmm.... Most of the newer models come with a recovery medth

Just a typeO .. I meant to say recovery disks...which are obsolete now.They are built into the computer.. Try systems recovery you sound like you might have a virus . Do you use 'Norton?"" try running that.

Esteemed Contributor

On 7/9/2014 ChynnaBlue said:

Did you try to Google the symptoms? That's how I usually get answers to computer issues.

If she has a blank screen how is she going to get into the computer?

Esteemed Contributor

On 7/12/2014 glb613 said:

Hmmm.... Most of the newer models come with a recovery medth

Recovery medth? Care to elaborate?

I will elaborate it is a typo. I meant to say systems recovery.

Respected Contributor

we don't have any discs for system recovery. I will see if I can get norton to run which we have but I don't think we can even get that far. The computer will turn on and offer ""safe mode"" etc but then that's it.

PS you can buy new computers still with windows 7. I have seen them. They are not used or refurbished. I would prefer 7 because we have 8.1 on another computer and hate it.

Respected Contributor

PSS how do you run a system recover without discs?

Respected Contributor

I have no idea what an externa enclosure is and I would not want to hook up anything to an existing computer. I don't have that kind of ability and would be concerned about messing up the other computer.

Honored Contributor

I'm just now catching up with this thread. Okay, back to the OP for a minute. When you say it boots up, does it go through the BIOS setup or does it go straight to the blinking cursor?

If it bypasses the BIOS setup and goes straight to the cursor then you've likely got a situation involving the BIOS. There are two real options here if the BIOS is bad. The first is that the BIOS chip has failed. That can happen for a number of reasons. Replacing the BIOS chip is your only real option there and that's best done in a shop. Option two is that the BIOS chip is fine but the instructions got scrambled. You can sometimes reset the BIOS to factory defaults by shorting the "Clear CMOS" jumper on the motherboard, or removing the CMOS battery from the motherboard. (If either is reachable on your laptop.)

If the computer goes through the BIOS setup just fine and then you get the blinking cursor, it's possible that someone at sometime accidentally entered the BIOS setup and changed the boot order/and or told the BIOS to ignore the hard drive while booting. The computer is just sitting there then waiting for whatever it's supposed to boot from to come along and it's not there. If you can get into the BIOS setup you can reset the BIOS to the factory default (lots of instruction on doing this are online) and you should be back in business.

If the BIOS is good and the BIOS settings are good then you're more likely looking at an issue with the hard drive. I'd try removing the hard drive and re-installing it hoping it was just a connection issue that's easily fixed by simply removing and re-installing. (Give it a sniff while you have it out and see if it smells like burned out electronics. There's a fairly unique smell that's pretty easy to recognize.) If none of that works then you're looking at putting the computer in the shop or replacing the computer.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Respected Contributor

Thank yo u gardenman. It will open to the page that says it was improperly shut down and offer safe mode etc. then no matter what choice you make it goes to the blank silver screen.

She was browsing on pinterest when it happened. We have Norton and there was no warning it just went blank.

I like the idea of taking out the hard drive and putting it back in. I think we could handle that LOL