Honored Contributor

I am very suspicious by nature. I want to sell an old iPad Air, Decluttr will give me $51 for it. Now it says payments are made by direct deposit ( you must give them your bank's routing number and account number), PayPal which I don't have, or by a physical check mailed to you. I am uneasy about giving them by bank information, however it doesn't seem to offer the physical check option. Do you think it's safe to do the direct deposit?

Trusted Contributor

I would not give out my bank info. Find a different service to trade in your device or establish a very safe PayPal account (My PayPal account is very secure and keeps me from ever giving out credit card or bank info. It has never had a problem with hacking or accounting errors.).

Or you could email this trade in service and ask how to get the paper check (or debit card?) option.

I don't think collecting $50 or so is worth the risk to your security giving over your bank info. You could also sell the device by putting a For Sale notice up on a supermarket bulletin board or similar way to notify your item is available.

Good luck!

Super Contributor

I have not used Decluttr but I googled the company and they have a good reputation. However, I would never give out my account and routing number for a $50 sale. If I were you and I didn't want to set up a PayPal account, I'd opt for the check payment as Decluttr is reputable. Good luck! I need to declutter myself and will make a note of this company. 

Super Contributor

I don't know anything about Decluttr but you can trade in your iPad to Best Buy or Apple. Now, granted they will give you a gift card but you can use it for anything that they sell. You can see how much your device is worth on their websites. 

Respected Contributor

@Jordan2 

I think you mentioned selling this device before on the forum.

Set up a PayPal account, it's fast and easy and overall safe.

The money goes into your account and either you can use it out of PayPal or transfer it to your bank account, same day transfers are charged a small fee or for no fee, it wil transfer the next day.

I'm not sure if you even have to link a bank account, someone more knowledgeable can answer that.

The older it gets the more worthless it becomes, just sell it.