Frequent Contributor

HELP! Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Pro Error Msg

Many years ago I purchased 4 separate Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Pro programs and have had them installed on 4 computers. They have been working fine and updating as usual until recently. I'm now getting constant reminders that "The database is outdated by 53 days. Please click here to update now." When I click to update I get this error message: "PROGRAM_ERROR_UPDATING (0, 0, Host not found)"

I've never had this issue before and it is happening on all 4 computers. I've searched on Malwarebyte's website and the internet and cannot find the answer to what is going on. My only thought is that it is no longer supported but it would be nice if it said that somewhere. Please see attached photo with my version info.

Thanks for any help you can give!

Malwarebytes Program Info.JPG

Respected Contributor

Re: HELP! Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Pro Error Msg

I have Malwarebytes on my laptop also.  The program I purchased at Best Buy lasts for one year, then I can delete the program or buy another.

I've never had that message.  I buy a new program though every year.    

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I renew mine every year, never get those messages.

Wednesday Word Vector Images (over 620)

Honored Contributor

Malwarebytes uses a product lifecycle system and when your product goes out of its "lifecycle" that's the error message you get. I could post a link to the information, but they don't allow links here any longer. Do a search for "malwarebytes product lifecycle" and you should find the information you need. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

I use malwarebytes too. Never had that problem. I think they have a chat option or phone number on their website (not sure if they're on the app). 

Could it be that you don't have room on your computer. Clear your history, cache, and cookies.

Honored Contributor

I'm not sure how it works now that you have to pay for it.

We paid $25 for Malwarebytes for life years ago. 

Glad DH paid that when it was offered.

Honored Contributor

@LAllyR  "I purchased 4 separate Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Pro programs and have had them installed on 4 computers."

I'm sorry, If I paid for an app, I would not do any WWW search.  I would be on the phone ASAP. 

A special CR phone # is one of the perks of "paid" for software.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Frequent Contributor

@gardenmanThank you! I found the page you referenced and that's what I thought had happened but couldn't find it explained anywhere. It was 12 years old so understandable.

@Mz iMac @Nightowlz @CalminHeart @meallen616 @Sunshine Kate - I was only using the Anti-Malware from Malwarebytes since I already have McAfee anti-virus so I wasn't required to purchase/renew every year. It was a 1X purchase and was cheap (maybe $5 each) all those years ago so I'm not out anything. I did try the AI chat on their page but it was not supported. I now have my answer as to what happened. I'll just delete it off my computers.

It doesn't appear that they have the anti-malware stand alone any longer so I'll just continue with McAfee and hope I'm OK. Thank you everyone for your input.

Honored Contributor

A lot of companies promise "lifetime support" but fail to mention that it's not your lifetime, but the lifetime of the product, and that they and they alone can determine when the product is at the end of its lifespan. They like to hide those details in the fine print. You buy it thinking you'll never have to worry about it only to have the company declare it dead in a year or two's time and the support ends.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

@gardenman wrote:

A lot of companies promise "lifetime support" but fail to mention that it's not your lifetime, but the lifetime of the product, and that they and they alone can determine when the product is at the end of its lifespan. They like to hide those details in the fine print. You buy it thinking you'll never have to worry about it only to have the company declare it dead in a year or two's time and the support ends.

@gardenman 

We figured when DH installed it from their site when they offered it free for a lifetime it wouldn't last long.

We have been using it free since around 2016. 

DH has a number he has to use when he has to reinstall it. Like a product key. 

Sometimes it gets turned off. Have no idea how?

I think it has to do with all the Microsoft updates. Several had failed but with the last update they now all say successful install or something of that nature.