Trusted Contributor

Does anyone have Tracfone's LG Optimus Dynamic II? How do you like it?

This phone was offered the other day as a TSV on QVC. A couple month's ago it was offered on HSN. QVC's deal was much better, twice the minutes/texts/data. I was wondering if anyone had this phone already and how you're liking it.

I was watching some YouTube videos of different prepaid phones and I think this phone will be my next Tracfone. My current phone is an LG 840G. I live in North Jersey, so cell carriers are not an issue. They will all work for me.

I don't need another phone right away, so I think I'll wait to see if HSN matches QVC's deal in the next few months. If anyone has the LG Optimus Dynamic II, let me know what you like and don't like about it.

*QVC Community member since 10/24/2006*
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Does anyone have Tracfone's LG Optimus Dynamic II? How do you like it?

I will be interested to see replies to this. I'm in your same situation, I have the 840G and I'm waiting for a good deal on the next step up.

It's God's job to judge the terrorists. It's our mission to arrange the meeting. U.S. Marines
Respected Contributor

I've had the LG Optimus for about a week (QVC's TSV), and I'm happy I made the purchase (I also have the LG 840g, and am happy with that, too). I've been testing it, using features I'll probably never use again just to see how it works; I've never been tethered to a cell phone. I couldn't pass up the 1200 minutes, though. Here's a rundown of my take on the phone:

-Considering Tracfone's business model of tracking usage, it's odd that there's no mechanism to do this on the Optimus without accessing Tracfone's site (there's also a "My Account" feature) thereby drawing from your data bank. Every previous Tracfone had a "prepaid" menu, which allowed access to this info via the phone, and you could choose to hide or display the data. Also, when you do access the data now, you get a text (for which you're also charged). Very strange.

-If you're a big texter, this phone is not for you, With all previous TFs, you were allowed 3 texts (sent/opened) per minute; with the Optimus, the charge is one "minute" per text sent and received (whether or not you choose to open it).

-The three buckets (phone minutes/data/text) may be a disappointment, though the company's clear on their usage policy--there's no moving remaining units in one bucket into another, so you may be dismayed to have to purchase another card for, say, texts, when you still have 1000 minutes in your phone bank. There are cards sold now to add data exclusively. Clearly, texts and data are now TracFone's cash cow.

-Voice Google is a breeze, and the "lady" has a pleasant, soft voice (again, I don't intend to use these features, but I tried them). YouTube videos are clear and crisp, as is the audio, for those who intend to use this feature, and sites/images are quick to load.

-There's no way to access Tracfone's site to get their great true ringtones, if you're into that. TF's other phones allowed you to purchase them via the phone, itself, or through its website. I'm sure there's an app for this, via Google Playstore, but I didn't download it.

-Speaking of apps, I didn't download any, even to test them, as I know it would use a lot of data and battery life. Also, I'm sure you'd soon run out of storage room.

-Phone call quality is good, as usual; I've never had a dropped call with whatever carrier TF's using on a particular phone.

-It's a data and battery hog. Unlike the 840g, there's no way to disable images (though you can disable data); I don't really need to see all those pics as I scroll down to view a news site.

-The camera isn't good for indoor shots--images are grainy. the LG840g photos (and video recordings), on the other hand, are superb.

-The four bottom keys on the Optimus aren't backlit (not a big issue), another oddity considering how their previous models had that feature.

-It's a nice-looking phone, and was easy to activate (as always, I did this via their 800 number, all automated so I didn't have to speak with anyone--I'm sure online activation is as easy), and I chose not to port my number, as I intend to keep the LG840g, too. When you have your promo minutes added after activating, don't forget to turn the phone off, then back on to reboot--that'll allow your minutes to show (if you access that website{#emotions_dlg.huh}).

All in all, it's a good android phone though, as I mentioned, I don't intend to use half of the features.

What worries you masters you.
Respected Contributor

Moonlady, thanks so much for the review. I ordered that TSV but have not yet received it since I paid by check. I noticed this morning that it's "in process" now, so I should have it in a few days. I also have an 840G which I'm debating about keeping. I want to get rid of my landline & thought I might try having one cell phone for junk calls & the better one for my personal use.

Esteemed Contributor

I don't have that phone....nor do I plan to purchase as I have two other Tracfones that I am pleased with....

I just signed in to tell Moonlady what an excellent post/review on the phone OP asked about....very nice clear language we all can understand....not many will/or can do that...

You deserve a standing ovation for the help you gave OP.....

Respected Contributor

Thanks, circles.

BTW, VCamp, take care when you put on the case--it looks fragile and cheesy, and you do have to separate the smaller top part from the bottom (at first, I wasn't sure it should be separated), so do this carefully. You'll be pleasantly surprised about how nice it looks on (I've already gotten complements).

Also, I picked up a couple of nice, faux-croco wristlets at Walmart;the phone screen's a fingerprint magnet!

What worries you masters you.
Trusted Contributor

Moonlady, thank you so much for your very detailed review. I really enjoy reading those types of reviews. You've actually swayed me a little toward not wanting it. My LG 840 isn't due to run out until November, so I have plenty of time to change my mind.

I would like to see Tracfone lump talk minutes and text minutes into one bank and keep data separate. I can see a lot of people using up their text minutes long before their talk minutes.

P.S. Is your nickname Moonlady because you like the moon? There's a total lunar eclipse April 14-15.

*QVC Community member since 10/24/2006*