Trusted Contributor

Re: Do you really need a touchscreen on a new laptop?

Do you really need it? NO. Might you like it? YES!

I'd say I use the touchscreen about 50% of the time and 50% of the time I use the touchpad.

The weird thing is that when I'm at work I sometimes want to touch my monitor and it isn't a touchscreen type. That's when I wish I had my touchscreen laptop handy!

Esteemed Contributor

Mouse control uses fine motor skills. If you have any trouble there, even intermittently, the touchscreen is a must.
But you state you enjoy using the mouse, so mouse it is. Why keep cleaning streaky hand marks off that screen if you don't have to? I would be, "WHY did I buy this thing?"

Yes @sandraskates, I too have reached out and tapped, poked, and swiped at non-touchscreens.
Respected Contributor

@MKR14 wrote:

Do you really need a touchscreen on a new Windows 10 laptop? I am in need of a new computer soon and since I like using a mouse I don't think I would use the touchscreen  I

love the touchscreen on my iPads but don't want to be reaching over to use a touchscreen on a new computer all the time. What are your thoughts on this? If you have a touchscreen would you buy it again? I thought I was going to buy a new computer with the touchscreen but may not the more I have been thinking about it. Thanks. Smiley Happy

I had a notebook computer with a touch screen and rarely used it.  Now if it was a convertible notebook computer, definitely. 

Honored Contributor

My ma spanked me whenever I got fingerprints on ANYTHING.     Needless to say, I can't use a touchscreen.    (Not even at the wedding registry or any other place in a store.)

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Respected Contributor

Personally, I would not want the touch screen on my PC.  I don't even like it on my Kindle.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thanks to all for your honest replies. I decided if the laptop I find has a touchscreen but ALL the other features I really want I will buy it. Otherwise I am not looking specifically for a laptop with a touchscreen. I agree about the fingerprints having to be cleaned off and the reaching across it is not what I want to do if I buy a 17" laptop. I knew I could count on my forum friends on this. In the future when I buy a new laptop I will post back. I would disable the touchscreen unless I really need to use it. 

I got an email about a Dell computer Presale being a TSV this week. I checked the new AMD FX out online that it comes with and it is one of the newer fast ones out.   AMD FX-9800P 7th gen quad-core processor, 2.7GHz and up to 3.6GHz. It is a really nice laptop except that it is a Dell. I hate to take a chance and have to return it. HP does not have very good ratings on all the new ones QVC or HSN have been selling lately either. I ordered one from HP directly about three years ago and the fan was messed up right out of the box and I returned it. I would put a Square Trade Warranty on whatever I buy. They have been great with any service on laptops I got for my grandchildren.

Happy Monday 🙋🏻

Valued Contributor

You really don't need it no. I ordered the touchscreen model on the big HP TSV recently and it is pretty pointless IMO. I use a computer daily and prefer a mouse - the things I do wouldn't make much sense to use as a touch on a normal laptop like this. It's not the same as using touch on a pad or phone because you already have a mouse and keyboard - so what is even the purpose? It also eats more batterly life if that is important to you.

Respected Contributor

Only  if its a 2 in 1 . I have a touchscreen desktop never used it

Respected Contributor

I would never want a touch screen on a computer.  That would get old pretty fast. 

Honored Contributor

Do I? No.

It really depends on what your needs are and what you are going to be using the computer to do. If you don't believe you need one, you're probably right and shouldn't buy one.