Respected Contributor

Attn: Computer Experts! Need advice Please ..

[ Edited ]

My old CPU died last year, so I've finally decided to replace it.  I'll continue using the same wireless mouse & keyboard and will use the two monitors that were hooked up to the original CPU.

So whats' my problem?

I've always only had HP computers.

However, with all the upgrades (either Intel or AMD processor upgrades & RAM), HP is way too expensive

Does anyone have experience with cheaper computers that are reliable?

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Honored Contributor

Re: Attn: Computer Experts! Need advice Please ..

[ Edited ]

All of ours are HP except my iPad. Staples has HP Slim 410-010 Desktop Computer for $279.99 reg. $449.99 in their Black Friday ad. Has 4th generation Intel i3-4170 processor, 8GB memory, 1 TB hard drive, dvd burner. You can see all the specs on the Staples site. You can either click on their Black Friday ad & it's on the 1st page or you can search 1872590. It shows the regular price right now. You should be able to have it shipped to your house free. It starts tomorrow so I would check at midnight to see if you can order before it sells out.

Respected Contributor

@Nightowlz wrote:

You can see all the specs on the Staples site.

Thank you!

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

To me "expensive" is a relative statement . My desktop is about 2 years old  and I paid twice as much as I can buy an equal, or even better computer right now. It has the/i7/1tb/8gb and is a non-integrated system.

This will be fine for a couple more years before it is considered old technology. By then I suspect I will easily be able to upgrade, while at the same time " getting more bang for my buck". 

Shop smart and buy a system that fits your needs and requirements. I see way too many buy computers with hardware and software they seldom, if ever, will use.

Now is certainly a good time to be shopping for the best deals to fit your needs.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

Check out Costco. They have a decent HP for around $350.00

Honored Contributor

To be honest, every desktop PC is assembled of components made by someone else except for a few cases like ASUS who started making components and then decided to put them together to make their own PC's. An HP computer may have a motherboard from ASUS, MSI, Gigabyte, or one of the other motherboard makers. I wouldn't count on any brand of computer being more or less reliable than any other. (With the possible exception of Apple.)

When it comes to reliability, the thing that most often fails on a desktop computer is the power supply, but they're pretty cheap and easy to swap out.  You just want to be sure that whatever desktop computer you buy comes with a very, very good motherboard. Swapping out motherboards gets very expensive and there are some very bad ones out there. Try to find out which motherboard the computer you're looking at uses then head to newegg or tiger direct or another component seller to read reviews. Anything less than four stars is probably better avoided.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Well, well, well!  Look at # E227816

I bot a DELL computer 15 yrs ago and sent it back, but I might bite the bullet & get this one.  It seems like such a good deal to me.

12GB and AMD A08 processor for $550?  OMG! 

THAT IS unbelievable, IMHO.

6% tax = ttl - $583

This sounds too good 2 b true!  Or, am I missing something?

Anyone here like their Dell?  dislike?

I'm excited!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@RinaRina wrote:

I bot a DELL computer 15 yrs ago and sent it back, but I might bite the bullet & get this one.  It seems like such a good deal to me.

6% tax = ttl - $583

I'm excited!

This computer is not bad. You may want to check Dell's  site for their Black Friday Deals. This computer is an Inspiron 5000 series. Dell is selling 17" products in this line for a similar price. You do get a better 1600X900 display. You should look at the 1 year limited waranty at both sites. You can upgrade the warranty at Dell for a small fee.

Honored Contributor

@RinaRina wrote:

6% tax = ttl - $583

I'm excited!

It all depends on what's important to you/your family and how you will use your computer.

I bought a 15.6" Dell 2 months ago on sale at BB. It has 6GB of RAM and 1TB, but an i7 processor. I paid $500. Other specs are the same as the one you're talking about.

For my use (I don't do any gaming, and don't have extreme graphics use otherwise), I would not want an AMD processor. Very few people will ever come close to needing or making use of 12GB of RAM or even 1TB of storage unless they are a professional photographer or videographer. I would have been happy to have 8GB of RAM but 6 is fine - and much better than the 4GB most of QVC's and HSN's computers have.

AMD computers are always cheaper because the processor is cheaper. It's only "as good as" or "better" than an Intel processor when used for heavy duty gaming and heavy graphics use, like photo/video editing. For all other tasks, an Intel processor is better. The 12GB of RAM will help, but just me personally I'd rather have an Intel machine.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Respected Contributor

@Nuttmeg wrote:

This computer is not bad. You may want to check Dell's  site for their Black Friday Deals. This computer is an Inspiron 5000 series. Dell is selling 17" products in this line for a similar price. You do get a better 1600X900 display. You should look at the 1 year limited waranty at both sites. You can upgrade the warranty at Dell for a small fee.

Really?  Couldn't find 'em.  Gotta link?