Honored Contributor

@conlt wrote:

Years ago when I bought my first item from QVC I got a $20 credit. That was in the 1980's. HSN was doing $40 yesterday when you opened a HSN card. 

Inflation. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Re: New customers

[ Edited ]

@millieshops wrote:

@SpurtI mentioned in another post here that Chico's did that just this week.  They offered me $25 off on $50.  That huge!  Problem -  I had walked through the nearest store a few days before the coupon came -  bought nothing and decided not to go back there any time soon.  Just not liking and/or needing anything they have right now.

I do understand people like to be appreciated, but I also know if I spent that $25 coupon, it would cost me $25 or more dollars I never intended to spend.  They know that, too.  I've been trying recently to follow a suggestion from a finance writer I like.  She recommended ignoring coupons and sales except when you already had decided to spend for what the coupon/sale was for.  I'm pretty sure I'm saving money          -  or at the very least making more thoughtful decisions about what I'm spending for. 

@millieshops

I usually just use coupons and discount offers on things that I already had planned to purchase.......If QVC gave me $5 I would use it on a Laura Geller product that I use regularly, but its not on auto delivery and I'm running out and the discount would cover the shipping.....I'd save a few bucks.....and a few bucks here and a few bucks there ....it adds up.....so you can save it towards a big item purchase, or just save money for a rainy day...

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Respected Contributor

i like deals as much as the next person.  saving is always a plus.

however, 5 dollars would not motivate me to buy somewhere i usually do not, hence the new customer incentive is a bit lame to me.

most businesses spend marketing money on roping in new customers.  no matter if they pay to the advertising medium or directly to the customer it is the same.

but, if i want or need something.  5 dollars does not matter.  if i need the 5 dollars to buy it, i do not need to be buying it.

if a business i heavily frequent offered 5 dollars to me.  well i would be actually insulted.  entice me with product , with value, with service.  keep ur 5 dollars.

~~who/what is responsible for your joy? YOU!~~
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Spurt... This can be discusssed until we're all blue in the face... When is a bargain really a bargain... when is an incentive worth cashing in... whether five dollars really matters... the try-on fee... and so on and on and on... and the bottom line is that QVC does very little in the way of offering customer incentives and makes very little effort, short of offering usually good customer service, to retain long-term customers... It really is as simple as that and regardless of how wedded some are to QVC, it really can't be cogently argued otherwise...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

@conlt wrote:

Years ago when I bought my first item from QVC I got a $20 credit. That was in the 1980's. HSN was doing $40 yesterday when you opened a HSN card. 

They're both hurting... I opened an HSN card many years ago and I don't recall getting a sizable discount... They do regularly send me 20% off coupons and other incentives, though. But be aware that 20% is only to a maximum of $25, no matter how expensive the item. It's still more than I've ever seen from QVC, where I have not and will not be availing myself of their card.

Honored Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

@Spurt... This can be discusssed until we're all blue in the face... When is a bargain really a bargain... when is an incentive worth cashing in... whether five dollars really matters... the try-on fee... and so on and on and on... and the bottom line is that QVC does very little in the way of offering customer incentives and makes very little effort, short of offering usually good customer service, to retain long-term customers... It really is as simple as that and regardless of how wedded some are to QVC, it really can't be cogently argued otherwise...

@stevieb

I guess your right---between the "cheerleaders" and "clueless execs" I guess it is a losing battle.....

I'm curious and wonder how HSN'S latest partnering with Gollywood again this time the Beauty & The Beast Movie being released in March cost them (and after similar promotions didn't appear successful)....Of course instead of all these gimmicks, we both know the simple solution to resolve slow sales and declining revenues....unique merchandise along with program variety......but as you said,they'll never get it...............Woman Frustrated

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

Yea @Spurt... it's the same old song... Home shopping (be it HSN or QVC) keep doing the same dumb things and expecting it will work better this time... It never does... and it never will... Until they offer people what they want, and a nice variety of it... at competitive prices and without the high shipping, many of us will continue to see them as nothing more than a secondary shopping resource... at best... I guess they'll never learn... And I'm not even touching the subject of the programming...

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@stevieb wrote:

Yea @Spurt... it's the same old song... Home shopping (be it HSN or QVC) keep doing the same dumb things and expecting it will work better this time... It never does... and it never will... Until they offer people what they want, and a nice variety of it... at competitive prices and without the high shipping, many of us will continue to see them as nothing more than a secondary shopping resource... at best... I guess they'll never learn... And I'm not even touching the subject of the programming...

@stevieb

Ya mean your not discussing the experiment of running taped shows in wee morning hours, all the new shows with exciting new titles and new hosts (but showing the same ole qwap), The much tauted Beauty IQ ---although I read where it's been a slow start with that experiment, and even more expansion of Q Plus, and the continued rotation of same dull products on the weekends...... what's there to discuss Woman WinkWoman LOL

Trusted Contributor

Long time shoppers get nothing. And $5 for new shoppers actually is pretty cheap.

Honored Contributor

Many businesses offer new customer perks.  $5 isn't enough of a perk to give it a second thought.