Honored Contributor

Re: would you shoot down a drone hovering over your property?

I might consider it if it looked like it would hit the house or could see in the window.  Don't own a gun though.

Respected Contributor

IF it was hovering over my back yard.....yes I would shoot it down............it's an invasion of my privacy.......... under California law, if my gates have locks on them, which they do, my backyard is not public access and viewed as private property..........if you entered my house through my chimney, sorry Santa, and not the front door, I'd shoot you too.......and I don't see the difference in the two.......either way, you're where you haven't been invited...................raven

We're not in Kansas anymore ToTo
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

You mean like Saddam Hussein shooting in the air ?

Most if not all localities have ordinances against firing a gun in the air. I see it as an irresponsible thing for any sane and clear thinking individual to do.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]
I have questions...would this be considered trespassing? If so, I would call the police. Remember too, that not every homeowner owns the rights to the air above her. This depends on your title. Would I use a gun to fire at something of which I do not perceive a threat? No. It is illegal to fire a gun for this purpose in my county. I might shoot the hose water at it, if it was flittering around my face, though. This all depends on a few legal factors. One thing about drones, though, is that they could be used for some unsavory and malevolent purposes.
Esteemed Contributor

A gun? Me? Hahahahaaha...

My weapon would be a paper clip and a rubber band, and try to shoot it out of the sky  Woman LOL

How big are these things, exactly? What kind of sounds do they make? 

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Esteemed Contributor

The big problem here is that few if any laws exist at this time to protect anyone, whether in a home, apartment, flat, business, yard, parking lot, wherever, from a hovering drone the purpose of which is probably dubious. 

My first take would be that there's some sort of camera on board.  Privacy laws do exist, but do not yet address this issue.

If we saw a drone persistently hovering over our house or front/back yards, I know for certain my husband would shoot it down with his .45.  He's an excellent and trusted shot.

Though I'm an "expert marksman," my aim is not worth much since hand surgery compromised by wrist and hand by CRPS, so I leave my magnum to the shooting range.

Why?  Right now we live in a rather high crime rate area of Portland.

Honored Contributor

Now I'm curious how many posters here have had a drone appear on their property? If one hung around, I might train my super-duper hose on it. No guns here.
Esteemed Contributor

First of all, I don't own any weaponry and have no intention of getting any weapons...ever. And secondly, I've never seen any drones hovering anywhere, and I live in an area where there is high tech everywhere you look. 

Esteemed Contributor

Why would anyone chance firing a round into the air and risk an errant bullet striking someone or damaging someone's property ( besides the drone) ?

Just the other day a sleeping child was killed from a bullet to the head by a gunshot fired into a house. And I'm sure everyone has heard of people killed on New Years Eve by celebratory gunfire.

I don't see a person calling themselves a responsible gun owner going after a drone. Just the opposite, imo.
Honored Contributor

@BesottedwithEskies wrote:

With a BIG HOSE and big shot of water?

EXCELLENT. SAFE. IDEA!