Esteemed Contributor

Re: single stream recycling...any experience?

We have single stream recycling.  It’s very easy to put everything in one blue reclycling trashcan, which the city provides.  All the trashcans they provide have wheels and are pretty easy to manage.  They pick it up once a week, along with the regular trash.  This past week I checked the city webpage and they said trash pick-up would be delayed by one day because of the snow.  They usually let us know when it will be delayed.    

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@noodleann

Home Depot and Lowe's both have containers near the customer service desk to place spent CFL bulbs and rechargable batteries.

Best Buy also has a recycling bin to take ink cartridges, batteries, and more. It is right near the entrance.

I wanted to add that I fill my bin up to the top each week. I noticed that many of my neighbors do not use the bin, which makes me sad. It is just as easy to recycle as it is to throw the stuff in a bag. Makes no sense to me.

Honored Contributor

@Nicknack wrote:

My trash collection service gives me a large bin for recycling and one for trash.  My recycling bin always has more stuff in it than my trash.  I roll the bin to the curb on recycling day and roll it back after it's been picked up.  I'm happy with the service and have never had a problem.

@Nicknack  That's the way we operate, just a big rolling bin like the garbage can.  I spend hours breaking down cardboard boxes I get every week.  I run into trouble when I get really big ones with furniture in them, like my Origami racks.  Guess I'll get them all together and drive them to the dump myself as I'd never get them in the bin. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@flickerbulb wrote:

@noodleann

Home Depot and Lowe's both have containers near the customer service desk to place spent CFL bulbs and rechargable batteries.

Best Buy also has a recycling bin to take ink cartridges, batteries, and more. It is right near the entrance.

I wanted to add that I fill my bin up to the top each week. I noticed that many of my neighbors do not use the bin, which makes me sad. It is just as easy to recycle as it is to throw the stuff in a bag. Makes no sense to me.

That's great news. I'm seldom near either, but I'm going to call and see if they take the in my stores. I'll also be near a Best Buy next week and can go in with my batteries. I take my cartridges to Staples because they give you purchase credit if you recycle enough, or they did.

I should have added that the single-stream bins my hauler uses are huge and the charges seemed high, neither of which I liked. Recycling is mandated but it's also free at the centers (in some locations, they actually charge you by the pound for what you recycle). As long as I can do it, I'll keep separating and hauling myself.