Honored Contributor

depglass- has anyone seen her posting anywhere lately?

Cleaning out the basement- i have Depression, Goofus, Carnival and some generic Woolworth glass and I don't know what I should do with it.

HELP!!!!!!

Super Contributor

Re: depglass- has anyone seen her posting anywhere lately?

[ Edited ]

@violann wrote:

Cleaning out the basement- i have Depression, Goofus, Carnival and some generic Woolworth glass and I don't know what I should do with it.

HELP!!!!!!

Hi @violann

@One of the best ways to get a Community member's attention is to use the @ mention feature to alert that person you are directing your post to them.

By me adding the following @depglass to my post that Community member is going to receive a notification with a link that will bring them to your post.

I hope this tip is helpful.

Honored Contributor

@violann...I have a ton of beautiful Carnival glass I need to get rid of as well.  In watching prices on ebay....they have dropped horribly since I started collecting years ago. 

I don't participate on ebay anyways...but was sad to see how my collection has lost most of its value.

I'll be interested to watch this thread to see if @depglass  or anyone else has any suggestions!

I posted some on Craigs list a while back....received nothing but very annoying and often scary replies from kooks.  I am very leary of Craig's List!!

I thought about making a flier and taking it to local antique stores.  I know dealers will want to pay the absolute lowest price they can.  Working full time, I don't really have the extra time to devout to downsizing my collection.  So there is sits!  Just asking to be dusted!  LOL

Honored Contributor

I fear Craig's list too!!

I may just take it all and donate it. I had a lot of fun when it was coming, and maybe I can have some fun with it going!

Honored Contributor

Is there an antique mall near you?  I have sold some of my glass to dealers.  It probably won't net much money but worth checking.

Honored Contributor

@violann, depglass posted yesterday in the Beauty Forum.  You can find her activity by searching her name under users (above and to the right).

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Violann,

You can get some sense of how things might go by searching Ebay's "sold" items. (It's a filter that shows recent sold items and those that went unsold at the time the listing expired.)  People can ask whatever they like--but seeing what the going rate is tends to be more useful.

So it might help to consider what price Ebay fetches for the items you have.  My sense is that Ebay gets a higher price than an antiques dealer would probably offer (they have more overhead to cover)--but will be lower than a top price.

I am wondering if the Woolworth/dime store glass might not be worth a bit more than the art glass, but that is just a guess.  Lots of people bought their glass at the dime store, but it was very breakable, so if your pieces are intact they might be worth something.

Honored Contributor

Violann, I don't know if this is the right spot for you to see or not.  I always thought those notification numbers were for how many hearts you have.  This new board is still a problem for me.  Anyway, its sad about your glass.  The general feeling among dealers is the recession and the availability of glass on Ebay have combined to kill glass prices, Depression, Carnival, Opalescent, almost all old glass.  If you like doing research and selling on Ebay, you can get rid of it that way, piece by piece.  Occasionally you will list a rare piece that you don't realize is that great and you will get the surprise of your life.  But in general, no.  I would take a few sample pieces to your local antique malls and ask if they have any dealers that specialize in Carnival or whatever. Glass dealers will give you more than general antique dealers.  I still keep a small booth during the summer and prices we are getting are way less than half of the old retail in most cases, meaning we paid about 25% of book price or less.  Sometimes a dollar or two per piece is all you can get.  I'm thinning down my own collection and am experiencing the same thing

Honored Contributor

Thank you everyone for your input and thoughts.

We may move in a year or two...and will have to deal with downsizing the collection then for sure!

In the meantime, as I have watched the prices ditch so low....I actually started using some of my pieces.  Not my specialty ones....but some of the other pretty pieces.

Actually using the vases for flowers, some smaller bowls to hold jewelry on my sink, real candy in the candy dishes and a few pitchers served juice beautifully!

I have given up the idea I will ever be able to sell it for near what I paid for it.  Today's market seems to have squashed the 'investment' idea..so why not enjoy it and use it!

I realize using it could devalue it, but I guess I'd rather enjoy it myself than sell it for $3!

Valued Contributor

@depglass   Please use a larger font size. Not worth straining my eyes to read your post.