Super Contributor

Re: Would you have a genetic test done that told you everything in your DNA....

On 2/3/2014 CAROLINA2 said:

I'd love to have the DNA test but unfortunately it's too expensive for my budget.

23andme.com has dna kits for $99.00

Honored Contributor

No.

Respected Contributor

You can have DNA tests for certain things especially if you have a family history.

Esteemed Contributor

National Geographic had a program a few years ago where you could get your DNA taken and find out your roots. I did do that. It wasn't for anything medical though. Very interesting.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Super Contributor

Lord, no! I'd be thinking about it all the time and watching myself for symptoms. If I had an illness with a genetic factor to it then I might want to know more about my genes such as the women who have a gene for breast cancer. But to know all the "what ifs" in my family history? No, I like surprises.

Respected Contributor

I know quite a bit about my family's genetic history (on both sides) because my sister has researched it.

If it were free, I would go for it; but I visit doctors and follow my health and feel that that is the best way to see how things are going.

I have survived three major diseases already that hit my family regularly (including right side kidney dysfunction at age 27, the exact same age as my great grandmother. It killed her and almost killed me.)

If I also have a propensity to Alzheimer's, our fourth curse, I don't want to know. I have made final provisions if that does happen, but I don't want to know until there is some effective treatment. What would I do about it? Arlo Guthrie refused the Huntington's disease test to give odds on whether he would develop the disease that killed his father Woodie Guthrie. I think he made the right decision. They still can't really treat it, so what's the point?

Respected Contributor

I did have one for the breast cancer gene. I was diagnosed at 39 and had a 10 year old daughter. I asked my original Oncologist for the test but she was against it, she said it would be hard to get med insurance which we already had. I changed to another oncologist for other reasons and that was the first test she did on me, her suggestion, and I don't carry the Brac gene, it was such a relief for me considering I had a daughter. My father and three of his siblings had early onset Alzheimers disease and passed away in their 60"s. I do not want this test and will not do it although I know there is a good possibility it's in my genes and my three brothers also.

Respected Contributor

I hear you, lovpoos, and feel the same way. (hugs) Worrying about it is no fun. Knowing would be worse.

Honored Contributor

Yes. I'd have it.

Respected Contributor

I had the BRCA test.
( \_/ )
(='x'=)
( " )_( " )